1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooler Master launches a Kickstarter for the 'ControlPad,' an analog gaming keypad

By Polycount ยท 7 replies
Oct 11, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. If you've never heard of an analog keyboard before, it's probably because very few companies have created them. Wooting, to my knowledge, was the first to do so with their Wooting one and Wooting two keyboards (I reviewed the former a couple months back).

For the unaware, analog keyboard tech (when used for gaming) boasts smoother, console-like character movement. For example, you can more easily keep pace with a slower NPC without the need to constantly stop and wait for them to catch up.

Cooler Master wants to set itself apart from Wooting by adding "dedicated keycap sets" into the mix. These sets will each contain stylized keycaps with different colors and symbols, designed for use in various applications or application categories (FPS games and, say, Photoshop).

If the ControlPad sounds like your cup of tea, you can pledge to the project on Kickstarter for an "Early Bird" price of $75. The Early Bird funding tier will give you the ControlPad itself, a "keycap puller," an exclusive "goodie pack," and an extra keycap set of your choosing. As of writing, Cooler Master has managed to raise around $4,500, with 44 days to go, so it's looking pretty likely that they'll reach their $50,000 funding goal.

Permalink to story.

2. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 2,317   +1,931

"If you've never heard of an analog keyboard before, it's probably because very few companies have created them. Wooting, to my knowledge, was the first to do so"..

Sweet baby Jesus...I did not just read that.

Theinsanegamer and Clamyboy74 like this.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 3,086   +1,364

This looks like a solution in search of a problem. if a game needs analog control - use an analog controller with a joystick, like one that comes with every Xbox or PS.

JaredTheDragon likes this.
  4. Rlam77

Rlam77 TS Rookie

Most of these gaming keypads should cost a fraction of the price of a normal keyboard but they are sold at almost the full price of a full keyboard with the same keys and keyswitches.

5. m4a4

m4a4 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,234   +760

This one has pressure sensitive keys, so it's not the same.

Otherwise, to be honest, I'd rather a joystick instead of the 4 direction buttons (even if they are pressure sensitive buttons). Less annoying.

6. JaredTheDragon

JaredTheDragon TS Guru Posts: 453   +300

I don't understand this. Why is an actual, real company that is somewhat profitable like Cooler Master using KICKSTARTER to fund their products?

It's pathetic. Leave crowdsourcing where it belongs, to people begging for money.

7. BonzoCLS

BonzoCLS TS Rookie

I can already see Intel lunching their foundrising for 10nm :D :D

mbrowne5061 likes this.
  8. amghwk

amghwk TS Maniac Posts: 361   +203

Even big companies started kickstarter? Business models do have changed nowadays.

mbrowne5061 likes this.