Corrupt Email Attachment in Outlook 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickc284

I am running Vista 64-Bit SP2 RC and Outlook 2007 on a HP Pavillion laptop (about 4 months old).

Almost all of my email attachments, specifically PDF and JPG files are not able to be opened. Regardless of whether I save them and then try to open them or try to open them directly from Outlook, I get error messages or a blank white screen (in the case of JPGs).

In the case of PDFs, I am getting an error message, "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired."

I have Adobe Reader 9.1.3.

If I left-click on the attachment in the message window in Outlook, it says,
"This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer:
PDF Preview Handler for Vista
To open this file in its own program, double-click it.
"

Any ideas?

Thank you!!!

P.S. I just tried opening a PowerPoint file using OpenOffice 3.1 and it said "General Input/Output Error"

Scan for infestations, then consider uninstalling Office and Outlook, and reinstalling them after a reboot and defragmentation.
Either the program that created them is damaged, or some infestation or hardware error is the cause.

Thanks raybay!!

I did a scan using an up-to-date Spybot and did not find anything. I am 99% complete with an anti-virus scan using ESET NOD32 as well with nothing turned up.

I will try to re-install Outlook next (or perhaps install a different email client for the time being).

I am trying to see if I can un-install Adobe Reader and re-install an earlier version.

I would not count on Spybot to be useful... it is merely a cookie cleaner... if you suspect an infestation, I would chose from these: Avast, Avira, Kaspersky, Nod32, MalwareBytes, Windows Defender, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, SuperAntiSpyware, and a very few others.
Spybot and Adware are simply useless when you are trying to root out evil stuff, though they are handy for cookies and minor, old stuff. They just do not find the most recent infestations, nor repair them adequately when they do find them.

I only found one item called PopCap that I removed so far.

I sent a test email to myself from my Yahoo POP account to myself and the attachment did not become corrupted.

However, when I do the same thing with my work account, the previously readable PDF file becomes corrupted.

This makes me think it must be something with the work account and / or mail server (which I have little to no knowledge about or access to).

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back