Corrupt Files (no start menu/desktop icons)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacRob

Hello folks, and thanks for reading in advance.

Ok, so I have been on this site and many others in the last two days and google kept pointing me here so I joined. Plus many responses to most threads.

It all started when I was installing windows updates. (the little yellow shield next to the clock on bottom right of monitor). I have three anti-virus/anti-malware progies plus Registy Mechanic, so I trusted it and it was valid like all before.
After install the little yellow shield was still there and an error message popped up saying something I forget. So I do the whole proses over again and at the same time I decided to update Mozilla Firefox because the last up date of theirs had a few issues including; loss of history usage, few bookmarks would vanish, and not able to set bookmarks at all were a few.
Well, the computer had finished with one update right after the other and asked if I wanted to shutdown. I clicked yes and it took a few seconds longer than normal and all, then flashes and brings up the little window that tells you there is still a program running. It gave the option to just quit and I clicked on that.
Now due to two Tylenol PM and an early morning I just flipped the power switch on the power source.
I know I'm sooooo stupid for doing so. Ok, so, I have tried everything like accessing the system restore, and tried "explorer.exe" and just a list of odds and ends. It almost always says "whatever I try" "is not a valid Win32 application"
Normally I would just put in my XP cd as always before but my Ex g/f decided she deserved all my cds so grrrrr to that.
Now recently when I have been surfing forums I consistently get sent to "bestwebchoices" and been getting pop-ups when on that site. Also two of my anit-bad things programs don't work in normal mode or in safe mode.
Any and all advice would be most appreciative.

If that's not enough to start.. Please ask questions.
TacRob

Brand, model, age, and configuration of the computer.
Was the parting with your g/f amicable, or could she possibly have created a goodbye you will remember?

I have (had) a great comp. Nothing has been a real prob in eight years or so. My Ex was way to null to have a part in this. Im purty sure I cut the power off at the wrong time.
Other than old I can tell you I was running 133mh on the chipset and its no use to anybody but it came from .startechpc c o m

Thank you for responding raybay, it helps more than you might imagin

Sounds like those AV programs you have aren't working. I'd reformat the HDD and do a clean install. Considering you don't have the disk you might try accessing the recovery partition if it has one and do a Factory default restore.

I feel a bit embarrassed admitting this but its been many years sense I was hip with the computer know-how on this level. Maybe there is a link to a place for people like myself to go and read up?
AV stopped working due to the files missing I'd think.
Thanks, rwc

You could try googling virus removal, adware removal forums or the like, but in my experience it's much quicker and easier to do a clean install.

Regardless of what approach you take you're going to need to know the exact model and system specs of your computer. Without that it will be hard for anyone to recommend a precise fix.

You can find that by clicking Start>run>type msinfo32.exe and press enter. This will list all pertinent info regarding your system.

TacRob, try this...
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Normally, some techs prefer that you disable system restore, but I'm not sure it's a good idea just in case you need to roll back.
I'd suggest putting all your a/v software aside and use the ones suggested in the link, since that's the method that these techs are recommending. Post your results and we'll see what happens. Don't do anything I wouldn't do... not yet.;)

No reason to be embarrassed... there is no reason to think any tech anywhere can remember all that needs to be in storage for quick access.
I agree that a reformat and a clean install is the wisest way to get things back to normal... even if it does take 11 to 16 hours to get everything working the way you wish.

Maybe there is a link to a place for people like myself to go and read up?

You found it, somewhere on this site, you'll find anything you can imagine, although I must admit, it's easier to ask than search through everything, there's just so much info around here...:grinthumb

For the record I don't have a start button but used Task Manager to get this instead:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Model A7N8X-X
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1094 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X-X ACPI BIOS Rev 1005, 5/14/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 678.67 MB

That msinfo32.exe is a great find to me. I hope that helps. I can post more info if requested.

"Welcome to the party, Pal" John McClain

Check out this site. They have a forum that is dedicated to spyware, malware removal. The folks can be quite smug at times, but if you follow their directions precisely you may find a solution without a complete reinstall. http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm aumhadotorg!

I'd suggest updating the OS to sp3, as it has alot of fixes to prevent this kind of stuff from happening in the first place. Check out that site first though.

Thx again rwc. I will check that site out further. Also I will uninstall/reinstall my AV stuff and see what comes of that. Never had a virus issue untill I shut down my system @ the wrong time though. Thanks for the reply again rwc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back