Corrupt security hive following Avast boot scan of system files

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK checked out the link you posted and in reading through it, I dont think its dealing with the same issue I'm having.

I can boot up just fine, get to all my files, music plays, games play, There are 2 things I cannot do. one is I cannot do is connect to the Internet. I have a message that reads Limited or no connectivity, But it is definatelt NO connectivity.
If I try to repair the connection everything with the repair goes allright till it gets to the step "Renewing your IP address" . I then get a message saying windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed..."Renewing your IP address"
This happens whether I am trying to connect wirelessly or if I'm wired up.
I have 3 other computers that are connected and working fine so there is not an issue with thenetwork.

The other issue I am having is when trying to enter the recovery console, I get the BSOD along with the stop error message

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

>The registry cannot load the hive (file):
>\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY

Clearly the registry is corrupt and needs to be restored :)

That is the message I get when I try to go into the recovery console!
Unless I am not understanding the instructions about how to recover those files. Is there a way to replace them without going into the recovery console?

Any bootable system on a CD/DVD which understands NTFS will enable you to copy the appropriate hive files from any available known good restore point. My favourite is linux Ubuntu.

Tracking back through your posts, however, it appears this whole problem started from virus infections. In that case, it might still be lurking, have deleted anything or turned off write access to anything. If you can do the equivalent of a restore point rollback, you are likely to be rolling back to an already infected system.

My recommendation would be - if a few simple steps don't help, reinstall from scratch.

Reinstall is 100% effective in virus removal and establishing an operational system --

DEPENDING upon how important the existing data might be to you.

Myself, I wanted to at least recover some business and personal data so I learned
this
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic76094.html

While doing so, I figured out that the NFS widows HD could be mounted R/W
and the registry recovered from a restore point.

Choice is up to you --- how much time are you willing to expend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back