Corrupted display outputs or video memory?

Siavash

Hello, I've an old AMD RadeonHD4890 (ASUS EAH4890) which recently has run into issues. This summer it was used for long gaming sessions (about 5 hours per day), with about 40c ambient temperature and the card running at 75c and being cleaned every 2 or 3 weeks with blower. But during a lightweight web surfing it just stopped working.

It does have 2x DVI outputs, one doesn't output anything anymore and the other one outputs corrupted image. What I've tried so far:
- Using HDMI output (bundled DVI->HDMI adapter)
- Swapping RAM slots
- Checking and reconnecting PCI-Express power cables

I was planning to replace the card with an AMD R9 380 but at the moment it's being sold as 1.5-2x the price tag in local shops (I live in Iran) due to low quantity and US sanctions, I can't afford it yet. So I was wondering is it possible to repair the card and what kind of issue are we dealing with here?

Thanks!

Booting the Windows 7:
01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg

Booting the Arch Linux (running in software rendering mode, hardware acceleration disabled)
07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 10.jpg

The pictures are pretty typical of graphics card problems. It's amazing that the card lasted so long being used in that sort of temperature for many hours at a time. There must be components on the card's motherboard that need replacing. Make sure the fan is working first of all. If the fan is spinning well you'll have to get the card out and inspect it looking first of all for bulging capacitors. It could be that other components are cooked too. Even if you find out what has failed getting new parts could be difficult. You'll need to be pretty good with a soldering iron. I don't play games and use basic graphics cards so I just buy a cheap one.

@bazz2004 Thank you very much for help! I'll deal with the older P4 machine till getting a new GTX 960 for having better Windows/Linux drivers and much lower power consumption at the same price.

Back