Corsair H70 CPU cooler?

Alster37

what do you think of the upcoming cooler? Is it worth the price if I want to overclock past 4ghz?

i've heard good things about the h30 and h50, so i can't imagine the h70 falling into another category. corsair makes great hardware, in which they improve upon constantly, so it's likely that it will be a decent and affordable liquid cooling kit. as for overclocking, it depends heavily on the processor you are using and whether or not your motherboard and RAM can handle the additional stress.

You will be very happy with that Corsair.
Nothing but lightning will make it fail... it should last you for five to seven years.

according to the little charts they have on there the h70 should be plenty superior to the h50...

h70_chart.jpg

(CPU is Core i7-920)

i think for the price you are going to have a hard time matching quality and performance. if i didn't already have a liquid kit that i liked i would probably pick one of these up.

MPC's review of the unit speculates that the fans are loud, which I guess makes sense seeing that there are two. You could always use different fans if you feel they are too loud, but some fans are just louder than others so it depends on what model ships with the kit. Anyone know when this thing goes on sale? I can't seem to find any retail pricing anywhere... not even MSRP on Corsair's site

btw i got to thinking... wouldn't a system with a higher rate of fluid flow be worse in a smaller loop? i mean you need to give the heated coolant a little bit of time to cool off inside the radiator--or else you're just recycling the heat in circulation. i suppose if you have a dual radiator and some good fans this cancels out this theory, but i figured if the flow is too fast the coolant doesn't have ample time to cool.

I had thoughts along the same line...as do Asetek. Their 570LX (LCLC 240) for some stange reason seems to be (in the U.S.) an OEM product only -for Cyberpower, iBuypower etc, but here in New Zealand it's available as a retail product ($NZ199 equates to $US145) not that much more expensive than the H50, and probably cheaper than the H70. Equip the radiator with four low noise fans in push-pull configuration and it is a very effective and quiet cooler.

The LCLC 120 is very similar to my system, with the exception of a smaller tube I/D. When I first got the kit back in Sept '08 I thought the flow was a tad slow, but it worked great even with an additional chipset block so I never really gave it any thought. Since my loop is smaller now, yet still 3/8 ID, I figured a slower flow rate would actually be superior to having the coolant rushing around. When I got my new case, I actually set it up with the rad fan as the intake, instead of having it exhaust hot air. This saw dramatic improvements with load temps, sometimes up to 5-10 degrees!

Well I can't take credit for having it set up like that, as Swiftech actually recommends having the radiator fan as an intake with overclocked processors. Since the HAF-932 has a large 230mm fan at the top of the chassis, it vents the air from the radiator nicely. The rad itself does take up some room being physically inside the case but with the power supply at the bottom it doesn't really matter. Click the text in my sig to see what I mean :)

according to the little charts they have on there the h70 should be plenty superior to the h50...

h70_chart.jpg

(CPU is Core i7-920)

i think for the price you are going to have a hard time matching quality and performance. if i didn't already have a liquid kit that i liked i would probably pick one of these up.

70-85C is high for anything involving water. If this thing is mounted in a rear 120mm fan slot you probably want to have an outtake fan at the top of your case. IF its pulling air in from the back that is.

71c isn't too bad for a single 120mm radiator setup (and that's full load i believe). it said on the site that the chip was overclocked to 3.8ghz with a vcore of 1.34v. the i7 chips will run hotter than most other quad core processors anyways; the thermal compound can also make a huge difference. this is something that is commonly left out of liquid kit reviews. nevertheless i will be overclocking my 920 very soon using my Swiftech kit; i will make sure to post up the results. i will most-likely be keeping the setup as-is and will utilize some TX-3 high performance thermal compound.

i7's are hot for sure. I remember hittin 95C on mine with the stock cooler. I'm also using a swiftech block, gtz lapped.

my apogee drive base could use a lap treatment, but i can never find the right paper for the job. all of the hardware stores around here are worthless in that dept. regardless i'm really exited to finally have a decent i7 setup and cannot wait to overclock. i have some 1600mhz DDR3 so I'm really hoping to hit the 4ghz mark; I think my Swiftech kit can handle it. hopefully i will be ready to build it near the end of the month.

my apogee drive base could use a lap treatment, but i can never find the right paper for the job. all of the hardware stores around here are worthless in that dept. regardless i'm really exited to finally have a decent i7 setup and cannot wait to overclock. i have some 1600mhz DDR3 so I'm really hoping to hit the 4ghz mark; I think my Swiftech kit can handle it. hopefully i will be ready to build it near the end of the month.

Nice

I actually bought my sand paper online, cost me about 14 usd.

I also plan to put up a post here on wanting to sell my 295 and my dominator ram.

Back