Corsair launches an ultra-compact liquid CPU cooler for mini-ITX builds

Scorpus

Staff member

Most CPU cooler launches aren't exciting enough to cover, but this latest product from Corsair looks like an interesting and unique solution for those wanting to liquid cool their processor in a mini-ITX case.

The Hyrdo Series H5 SF is an all-in-one closed-loop liquid cooler that offers 150W of heat dissipation in a product just 84mm tall. The cooler comes with a CPU block, radiator and a blower-style fan, and is designed to sit directly above a mini-ITX motherboard without blocking any crucial ports, allowing you to still install a graphics card in your system.

The H5 SF, which is also part of Corsair's Bulldog chassis, attaches to mini-ITX motherboards by using the mounting holes that also secure the board to the case. This ensures that the cooler can be mounted without needing additional supports inside the case, and should fit everywhere that a standard 84mm-tall air cooler would.

Corsair claims that their small form factor liquid cooler is able to keep an 84W Intel CPU at under 70°C, where other mini-ITX coolers would reach 100°C. The 120mm blower fan is also "low-noise tuned", so it shouldn't be particuarly loud during load, at least not as loud as the graphics card in your system.

The Hydro Series H5 SF is available now through Newegg and other retailers for $79.99, which is similar in price to the company's other liquid coolers. If you want something small and effective for your next mini-ITX build, this might be the cooler you're after.

Permalink to story.

Not a bad deal, the Bulldog without Mobo, $300 for a case, 600watt PSU and the H5 SF cooler. Looks like my living room is getting a new piece of tech this coming spring. Looking forward to the Techspot review when you guys get your hands on it.

Looks like you'd need to watch the RAM height. Presumably it's ok if you don't use heat spreaders.

Looks like you'd need to watch the RAM height. Presumably it's ok if you don't use heat spreaders.
A potentially larger concern (at least to me) is how far past the "top" of the motherboard edge this cooler goes. I can't really tell because of the picture's angle, but it looks like it is 25-30mm past the aforementioned top edge of the motherboard, which will limit what cases this bad boy can go into as will the the 84mm height. Of course... there are plenty of HTPC/"performance" minded ITX cases that will fit this cooler so this is practically a moot point.

Minor griping aside, very cool design. Given the opportunity I wouldn't mind trying it out myself in a build, if I was not so enamored with Silverstone's ML-08. However, this thing WOULD fit my previous heartthrob, the Lian Li PC-O5s. Oh the possibilities...

Back