Corsair's Nightsword RGB gaming mouse detects its center of gravity in real time

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The company’s iCUE software analyzes the inputted weights in real time and reports the total weight of the mouse as well as its exact center of gravity based on which weights are used and where they are positioned. According to Corsair, this provides precise feedback for users that want to finely calibrate their gaming experience.

Corsair on Thursday introduced a new gaming mouse featuring a tunable weight system that actively tracks the pointer’s weight and center of gravity in real time.

The Nightsword RGB, Corsair’s new flagship mouse, packs two sets of weights and six mounting locations on the underbelly of the beast which allows for 120 different weight and balance configurations.

The Nightsword RGB is driven by an 18,000 DPI optical sensor from PixArt, the PMW 3391, that’s customizable in single DPI steps. You also get three onboard profiles, a 1,000Hz report rate and a 6' braided USB cable. Its 10 buttons are fully programmable in iCUE and use Omron switches rated at 50 million clicks. Four RGB lighting zones should be more than plenty for custom lighting fans.

Corsair’s Nightsword RGB is available as of writing priced at $79.99.

Permalink to story.

The pro gaming mouse industry all trying to cut as much weight as possible, and making ultralight mice like the glorious model O. Meanwhile corsairs stuck in 2002 and making mice where you can add MORE weight.

To describe how I feel about this mouse I will quote the great Moe Szyslak. "I've been called ugly, pug ugly, fugly, pug fugly, but never ugly ugly." This mouse is ugly ugly, and that center of gravity gimmick nonsense, come on!

And yet still probably doubleclicks on mistake and the middle button works as well as trying to iron your shirt with a cinder block. BASIC FUNCTIONALITY, WORK ON IT!

The mouse honestly doesn't look too bad. Idk why people care about weight of a mouse so much. I "retired" my logitech g pro wireless and went to the roccat kova aimo because it fits my hand ever so slightly better and I can aim more freely with it, even though it weighs like 15 grams more and isn't wireless.

The issue I have with corsair is the button clicks. I had their newest ironclaw about a month back and I had to exchange it because the left mouse click started to stick after a week, which is pathetic as hell. I also hate that mouse companies are putting these rubbery grips where your thumb is etc. If you make a good shape you don't need those stupid grips. Anyone who has sweaty/oily hand problems see's those rubber side grips as a curse unless you have a fan blowing directly on your hand to keep it cool.

Logitech, Zowie and Roccat mice don't have those rubber side grips because they actually know how to make good shapes. the glaive and the m65 from corsair are the only 2 mice they make without those grips as far as I know. I understand if your hands don't have these issues the grips may help but even then I'd see them as pointless. the only reason those grips are helping is because the mouse shape is bad. just make a good shape you can actually pick up or don't release the mouse. putting rubber side grips on a mouse, to me, is a way of showing you know your mouse shape sucks.

The pro gaming mouse industry all trying to cut as much weight as possible, and making ultralight mice like the glorious model O. Meanwhile corsairs stuck in 2002 and making mice where you can add MORE weight.

Weight depends on what you're trying to play and how you're trying to play. Heavier mice are nothing but beneficial for any games where you're trying to snipe. The increased mass gives you an increased inertia, and helps to keep your aim steady both as you move and aim. If you're 'spraying and praying', twitching, or playing one of those top-down clickers (like LoL), then yeah, lighter mice are beneficial. Plus, you can always pull out the weights.

Now, whether a mousing being able to detect its center gravity "in real time" has any benefit, that is another question. I am leaning toward "it does not"

I've had two Corsair Pro mice develop double-click issues on the right click in less than a year. I've also had to RMA my Razer Basilisk mouse for a faulty left click, only to have the right click completely break in the replacement I received. I game moderately, and don't slam my mice around like a gorilla when I'm upset, so these defects took place on their own, which blows my mind for $60+ mice.

My 2 older Logitech G500s mice, that I was using at work, are still going strong with zero issues, and both cost less combined than the Basilisk did. They just don't make them like they used to.

Back