Could not connect to the net (was able to solve this!)

abe10tiger

I was able to solve this problem I encountered. I just wanted to share to guys how it was fixed.

Info:
1.)I use a laptop
2.)I use a cable to connect to the net
3.)A Tech dude fixed the probem
4.)I'm kind of a noob at these kind of stuff so please forgive me.

The Story
OK, so I was having this problem about not being able to use the internet because it says that I'am not connected! The the thing is, I'am connected! When I put the cable on, it says "Local Area Connection is now Connected." But when I open Google Chrome or Firefox, and try to open Facebook or Google,/I] it says "This Webpage is not available" I even tried to update my "Antivirus"(AVG) but couldn't happen because it said that I was not connected. I also tried to play online games but still no luck.Luckily, a techy dude went to our house to fix the problem. He said that "My IP settings were not automatically something. I can't remember what He said. I didn't get what he said at first so I did a little experiment and finally got got it! Just wanted to share to you guys. Sorry if this is already "known to you guys"

Additional info:
1.)My OS is Windows XP
2.)I use an old laptop

Ok, here are the steps that I did and I also guess what the techy dude did.
1.)Go To Start
2.)Control Panel
3.)Network and Internet Connection
4.)Network Connections
5.)Right click on Local Area Connection and click Properties
6.)Go to the General tab in which you might find a kind of checklist.
7.)Look for the Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and double click it.
8.)In the General tab,click the Obtain and IP address automaticallyand press ok>ok
9.)Now Check if you can open websites or try to update your programs etc...

MORE info: My guess is that my laptop was never connected using a "cable" and that's what caused the problem. maybe....

Well you are on your way to becoming a computer tech... but there are sometimes a myriad of problems with a large number of fixes to try. You got lucky by trying the right tech.

Well you are on your way to becoming a computer tech... but there are sometimes a myriad of problems with a large number of fixes to try. You got lucky by trying the right tech.

haha. thanks dude! Well, it is true that there are a "Large number of fixes to try" and I'm hoping to be able to know those. :)

Good job abe10tiger :grinthumb

Thanks for sharing the tip! I'll swap. Here's another one to add to one's "bag of tricks" / things to try to fix browser problems

MS has has an automated "fixit" tool to reset IE settings. Running it can sometimes help fix the browser problem (and sometimes fixes it for all the browsers)

Cool!

Good job abe10tiger :grinthumb

Thanks for sharing the tip! I'll swap. Here's another one to add to one's "bag of tricks" / things to try to fix browser problems

MS has has an automated "fixit" tool to reset IE settings. Running it can sometimes help fix the browser problem (and sometimes fixes it for all the browsers)

COOL! Thanks for the tip too! I'm sure I"ll also find that helpful! :D

Back