Could you please recommend a new Linux distro

Leeky

Hello techspot members. :)

I've been using Ubuntu for about 5-6 years now, but I fancy more of a challenge - I feel I've gone about as far with Ubuntu as I can, and the novice type approach to everything is getting tiresome now unfortunately.

So with this in mind, what would members recommend to replace Ubuntu with? I don't mind spending hours configuring a new linux distro, and learning new things (thats the whole point of this exercise!).

With my IT degree starting in September I would like to broaden my knowledge. I'm not too sure I'm ready for the massive work required to configure something like Slackware, but I'm looking for something in-between this and Ubuntu.

I also prefer the gnome desktop, KDE is just too in your face and I just don't like it. lol. The computer being used for it is in my spec's, and it would need to be 64bit as well.

So what would you all recommend, and why?

Thanks in advance. :)

Try a stage 2 tarball of Gentoo - and if you feel that's not challenging enough you can move on down. You may even want to start from a live DVD just so you can see how everything behaves precompiled.

Thanks for the advice. :)

I was considering Gentoo, but I wasn't sure if it was a step too far. I'll download the Live and have a look I think. :D

I've decided to bite the bullet and install Slackware instead. I think I'm going to miss my Ubuntu though, but onwards and upwards.

Hopefully Slackware will give me the experience I crave for. I'm just about to install it now. :D

but surely you should have a variety of distros installed in a virtual space of your choice with old familiar ubuntu as host :)

I could have done, as I already use Virtualbox for a couple of OS installs I use. But the thing I love about VB is I can use the same software between both my linux and Windows installation. It comes in very handy when I need to use them!

I'm all installed and running on Slackware now. Installation was pretty much trouble free thankfully. :)

Ubuntu has been excellent for me for many years now, but much like Windows, its getting all too grainy on me now, and as good as Ubuntu is, I wanted to move on to a more demanding linux distro.

I'm happy so far. :D

yes, vb is great

i'll have a look at slackware sometime...if nothing else, the name is really appealing

Its pretty cool Slackware. :)

Nice and simple, and I'm even using it with KDE... I've long since prefered Gnome, but thought what the heck, lets try something different along with Slackware. :D

I know its not linux, but you could always try a bsd-based system as painful as they are.

I've been using FreeBSD and Solaris on and off for a year or so now, though mainly only confined to Virtualbox more than anything.

I settled on Slackware in the end, for my PC, and I'm just continuing to use Ubuntu for my laptop, but that also dual boots with W7 Ultimate as well.

I'm hoping to build myself a server soon though, and that'll almost definitely be solely Ubuntu Server OS. :)

If you like Ubuntu's package management without the rest of the canonical bling and baggage, then you might want to give Debian a go. This will give you the benefits of both Slack and Ubuntu but in one distro.

-edit: 1000+ posts since may this year - you've been busy.

I would recommend ArchLinux, that's pretty configurable like Gentoo. It has a great community, wiki and package manager, also there is no need to wait hours to compile packages like in Gentoo and has easier installation.

After running round the houses in regards to distros, I've settled on Debian 6, running XFCE.

I've pretty heavily customised it all now, but I'm very happy with the results, and the performance.

I'm going to give ArchLinux when I get a min though, as keep hearing good things about it all the time.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

Strange community at times - but from what I've been reading so far, very knowledgeable, and there is plenty of guides and advice to be found.

I'd love to show you, but alas my PC is no more > So "having" to use W7 as my current OS on a Toshiba gaming laptop which is doing my head in somewhat! :haha:

Debian was a netinstall without an X Window system... I think installed XFCE to it, along with all core software I used from Gnome/KDE/independant and also got used to some of the XFCE offerings as well.

Having been a user of Gnome for many years I have to say I missed many different creature comforts I had come to expect - so I spent considerable time changing some of the visual layout (menu mainly), and then adding scripts to the right click menu's.

XFCE is considerably more basic, and although I love it to bits, the ideal for me is a compromise between Gnome and XFCE... So being kind of creating that. Its nothing particularly advanced really tbh, but nothing beats a customised desktop.

Only pic I have of it is here: http://www.leekaelin.co.uk/downloads/Forum Pics/TechSpot/My_Current_desktop.png

Obviously with the PC, and the SSD now dead, its no more unfortunately, and even with backups, it would be a nightmare to change from Intel to AMD with the current install. So I have the fun of starting again now. :haha:

did the computer suffer an untimely demise?

xfce is one de i have not tried - your customisation looks good - always good to have a change from time to time

at least you had fun

Yes, the PSU failed - still waiting to find out why though.

Yeah, I've used Gnome for years, so its refreshing to change - even if I've come to expect certain features of Gnome being default with all DE's. :haha:

It'll be back once my next build is up and running. For now I'm going to keep it simple and just use Windows 7 on the laptop.

Back