CPU makes noise at startup and hardrive doesn't appear on my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently my computer just started randomly making noise at startup its coming from the CPU, its a loud clicking noise, the loading screen hangs for a few seconds extra then goes through but then my slave hardrive is gone, I usually have Local Disk C and D but "D" aint appearing. Help please. Is it gone all together? I tried opening the CPU and cleaning it but no difference.

This is more of a topic for general hardware but is it the cpu itself or the fan that cools your cpu making the noise?

Find your harddive manufacture's website, download their free harddrive diagnostic utility and diagnose your main drive and slave. Check your cable connects to your drives. Are they secure?

I've never heard of a cpu making a clicking noise... (no moving parts, you know!).
Is it possible you are misidentifying what _exactly_ is clicking?

A CPU is just a "chip" on the main board (motherboard) of the computer.
They often/usually have fans (or "heat pipes", etc) mounted on them to keep them cool.
You would not be able to differentiate between the cpu and the fan making a noise
without first removing the fan.

The fact that you associate the clicking with the loss of a drive
makes me think that your issue is really with a drive
and you just have not been able to isolate accurately the source of the clicks.

Does any of this help?

i think your drive is starting to crash, same thing is going to happen to me and im getting a 5gb replacement drive =/, you should backup your data asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back