CPU or Mobo failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plugged in an external Hard Disk (power off, power supply not connected) by USB to my PC, and suddenly, the whole screen froze, and I couldn't do anything with the keyboard or mouse.

Then I pressed the Power button on the PC to restart the computer, but it wouldn't turn on anymore.

The fans still work, so it can't be the PS, but I'm wondering whether the CPU or the motherboard died?

Has anyone had this problem before? The motherboard is new (only got it a month ago).

Config:
PS: 480W
Motherboard: Inno3D MCP73V

Thank you very muchv for any help in advance!

Is the external HDD still plug-in to the PC?

Also check if all you cable are well plug-in as for screen, etc...

The external HD is no longer plugged in.

Also, the computer was working fine before the HD was plugged in, and froze the moment the HD was plugged in.

I checked the other cables and they were properly connected. As the internal HD connected to the motherboard isn't making any sound, I assume it has to be something with the motherboard? Am I correct in making this judgment?

Does the internal HDD spin up when you unplug it from the motherboard? If it doesn't then either the PSU is dead (not supplying enough power on one of the rails) or the HDD died. Plugging the external HDD in may have just pushed the PSU over the edge.

I'm thinking that the HDD is died as I already got a problem like that that my HDD died just with a freeze. Try to test your HDD on another computer and check if everything is ok. If it don't work then you will need to change or you may use the external HDD as primary HDD if you don't have any or even buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back