Cpu runs at 100% constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobiehub1

i have windows xp pro and gateway laptop with macafee security suite and fire wall. recently my cpu has been running at 100% on the web accoring to my fan and task manager which makes everything crawl and suspend in motion. i think i have some spyware/malware problems and svchost.exe problems. macafee cant find it and microsoft doesnt help.

What process is using the CPU? You can sort the process listing in Task Manager by clicking on the column header. Click twice on the CPU column to get the hogging processes at the top.

requested logs

So far - so good- as you'll see there were some infected files- even though I dont know what they mean- thanx for all your help- let me know what I need to next.

Attachments

• mbam-log-7-16-2008 (13-19-08).txt
    962 bytes · Views: 6
I'm currently reviewing your logs, please be paitent.:)

How's your computer running now? go into Task Manager and see if iexplore.exe still using 100% CPU

I'm not actually an expert at these logs (they look easy, but they're not I've found!)

Anyway, uninstall:

PicLens for Internet Explorer

Fully !

IE will probably run then

I'm not actually an expert at these logs (they look easy, but they're not I've found!)

Anyway, uninstall:

PicLens for Internet Explorer,

Fully !

IE will probably run then
I don't PicLens is causing the problem here

I don't see any things suspious in the HJT log, how long you've been have Piclens? When did this problem occur?

ok- I have not yet uniinstalled pic-lens (but i can tell you that when i do run pic-lens specifically, my cpu does spin up - but i assumed it was all the .img's causing it). I have had pic-lens about 4 months. the problems with the cpu started about 2 months ago.--- I had read a thread elsewhere that said the multiple svchost.exe i have was causing the problem and the best solution from there was to go through microsoft to fix it. ---- that didn't work and then i found a thread that suggested if i disable auto-updates in windows, that might solve the problem. it did not,---- it only annoys my macafee software which contually tells me to re-enable it. ---- then i thought my temporary cache for ie was getting full too quickly so i increased the available amout of disk space for it to use.---- that didn't work either. since following your instructions it seems better for now, but it will do that sometimes and then out of nowhere it starts again.---when the problem occurs, and i am moving my pointer over any button ( not even clicking on it ) on any website, my fan will kick on, and the cpu jumps to 100%. I can live without pic-lens. I mainly just use my computer for games, music and surfing the web alot. I really appreciate all of yall, nobody else has helped this much. I was about to give up. thanx and if you can think of anything else let me know, i am going to uninstall pic-lens. and go from there.

ok- went to http//torrentfreak.com.........hijack-080103----then i went to the hijack log i posted here and found {c:\\program files\dna\btdna.exe}----do i need to delete this folder and file,? because the article listed at the above web-site seems to indicate that?

Hey, it's your comp and anything other than ther Windows files themselves can always be uninstalled and reinstalled so do what you want.

I just provide advice and info.

i didn't even know i had this, i don't use it- when looked on my C: drive i couldn't find it in the program files foler. Maybe you took my post wrong- i just don't understand it and i'm trying to so i can fix it. I dont won't this file or program on my pc- how do i get rid of it- and i appreciate you bringing it to my attention, i would have never known about otherwise. thanx very much. now do i have hijack remove it after it runs a scan, b/c like i said i couldn't find it in the program files folder,? But i believe it's there thanx in advance for any input.

The article I linked should be READ! Everything you add on to your comp that uses internet connections should be suspect.

While the Torrent people say that program isn't a problem, it and things like that PicLens are just one more thing that has to interface with MS$ OS and 'can' lead to problems.

Uninstalling should be done through Add/Remove programs.

If it doesn't clear the problem (after a reboot) you can re-install later.

You should check Internet Tools Manage Add-Ons for what is running also and disable them.

CCt--by the way, i also noticed the link at the bottem of the bittorent site you sent me. It was about a possible risk with the VLC player. I have VLC player installed and use it occassionally, do you know anything about that?

Hey KIMSLAND and ADU123- I really appreciate your help--It's bad enough when you have a problem like this and already feel stupid without some one talking down to you - maybe I can help some one else in the same manner. keep up the great work !

dobiehub1 is it all sorted then?
Also your above comment, I'm not sure who (if) you are directing bad feeling at someone (ie there have been a few members trying to help here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back