CPU-Z Read On Memory. Anything I Should Be Concerned With?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route44

I recently upgraded the memory in an MSI-6547 socket 478 from 256 megs of PC2100 to 2 Gigs of Kingston PC2700, CAS Latency 2.5, 2.5v.

The motherboard can take a total of 3 gigs but was not designed for dual channel. The memory installed fine and the system immediately recognized it.

Here is where I could use some insight. The BIOS shows the voltage at 2.6v but CPU-Z shows both sticks at 2.5v which they are designed for.

Also, CPU-Z shows stick 1 at frequency 133MHz but the second stick at 166MHz.

The CAS for stick 1 is 2-3-3-6-11 and the second stick at 2.5-3-3-7-11

I don't know why there are descrepencies. Anything I need to be concerned with? This isn't my system so I want to make sure it will be done right.

heres what i know:

All your memory will run at the speed of the slowest stick.
Now whether or not that actually affects the performance or speed of your entire system is dependant on a lot of other things.

With DDR-2 you can mix CAS timings as long as the memory is supported by your motherboard.

But with DDR-3 you have to be very careful about mixing CAS Timings as you can cause your system to either not recognize the memory with the lower CAS Timing (faster rating) or to not boot at all depending on which memory sockets you put it in.

after all that.

they are the same type:

it works

keep your fingers crossed, i dont think youll have any problems

as far as i know its nothing to be concerned about... Try swapping the sticks slots and see if you get the same reading in the same slot. The slot might be slightly slower because there is an uneven amount of slots should be 3 slots total if my guess is correct. it would mean any ram put in that slot would run slower.

if there are more than 3 slots for ram and you have the ability to put in another stick in the 4th empty slot try filling all the slots and see if it corrects the speed. if this is the case the ram slots all need to be populated to run at full speed.

and last I guess if none of that fixes it.. double check that the ram stick is in fact imprinted correctly and not mislabeled on the sticker.

Gods speed and good luck,
Cougar

If it runs it better than 256 then I would say just enjoy the the upgrade; No, worries and throw that 256 away Ha Ha. Thanks

This is DDR1 and both sticks are the same. The motherboard has only three slots that can take up to a gig a piece.

This motherboard is a) old and b) not designed for dual channel. I am wondering why if both sticks of RAM are exactly the same that CPU-Z shows descrepencies between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back