Crash after plugging in microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so yesterday I went to a friend's house to help him build his computer. I let him wire it, and didn't notice that he wired the audio incorrectly. We started up the computer, everything was fine - OS was running smoothly, temperatures were low, no funny noises, all seemed good. When he plugged in his microphone, the entire computer crashed. We opened up the case and I saw that he had plugged the audio in the wrong place on the motherboard.

When we attempted to turn the computer back on, it kind of did go on: all LED's on, fans on, HDD light on, etc. etc... But the monitor displayed something along the lines of "No signal". We double checked to see if the graphics card was seated correctly, if it was getting power, if the wires to the graphics card were connected properly, and they were, so no problem there.

So.. Is there any way to fix this? We are going to try clearing CMOS first.

One more question.. On page 55 of the online manual (Google "DX58SO Manual"), it gives information about the BIOS configuration jumper.. Do we set it to 2-3 or none in order to fix this?

Here are specs if it helps.

Intel Core i7 920
8 GB RAM
EVGA GTX 260 SSC 216 Core
Intel DX58SO Motherboard
Seagate 640GB HDD 7200 RPM

I would put it on 2-3 first and see what options that menu has, one may be to restore bios defaults, which is what you'd want to choose. If that isn't an option, then I'd do the <none> to apparently 'recover' the bios.

Worst case senario is you shorted something that shouldn't have been when it was running and toasted that part of the mobo... Which pins was it connected to?

Sorry, but it sounds like you reconnected the monitor incorrectly. Fiddling with the audio should cause the video output to change. You may have plugged the monitor into the wrong video port. If he has a custom video card (probably, it's a custom build), then there will be two video ports but only one will be enabled.

-- Andy

An update:

When we ran the computer we noticed that the graphics card fan was actually NOT running... Uh oh..

Can we plug the graphics card into the secondary PCI slot and try that, or would that not work?

Also, any way to test if the motherboard/grahpics card is working besides with beep codes?

I would put it on 2-3 first and see what options that menu has, one may be to restore bios defaults, which is what you'd want to choose. If that isn't an option, then I'd do the <none> to apparently 'recover' the bios.

Worst case senario is you shorted something that shouldn't have been when it was running and toasted that part of the mobo... Which pins was it connected to?

The "HD Audio" thing that was bigger than 10 pins.. It's on the online manual, left side of mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back