Not open for further replies.

kryptx101

Ok so heres my rig: (No overclocks)

Asus P6T Deluxe Motherboard
Intel Core i7 at 2.66ghz
GTX 280
6gb of DDR3 Corsair ram at 1600mhz
Ultra X3 800 watt power supply

My issue is that in certain games, Crysis, Guild Wars, Warhammer online, Call of duty 4, etc. I will play flawlessly for a certain amount of time, then it will crash. The screen will turn to a solid color(the color is always different and is usually the most used color on the screen at the time). At this point my PC is completely un responsive and must be turned off manually. There is no blue screen on start up.

I have a short video on youtube showing this issue, if you type in "computer crash in games", my youtube name is kryptx101

ok so heres what i tried

1- Like anyone i guessed it was a graphics card issue, and so i RMA'ed my video card. The new card didnt change anything.

2- I then re-installed windows completely.(wiping the hard drive) This didnt change anything.

3- next i looked to the CPU. I measured it on 100% load and all temps were normal. It also passed every CPU test out there.

4- RAM was my next suspect. But i ran memtest on each individual stick 5 times. Still nothing.

I spent so much money to get a dream PC, and it crashes constantly. I just want to fix this! Please anyone, any advice is very helpful. I pray that someone here has an answer, you would make my day!

Thank you so so much for your time.

Hi there,

Could you please attach the latest 3-4 mini dump files to your next post.

They can be found in

Start > My Computer > Local Disk C: > Windows > Minidump

Someone will be able to debug them for you :)

Thank you so much for you time, and quickness in response to my post.
According to my pc, the minidump folder is empty. Why could this be?

That's fine, sometimes the crash doesn't actually generate a 'blue screen' as such so it doesn't need to dump the memory.

Can you check in your eventviewer to see if there are any system errors being generated. To do this:

Start > Run > Type eventvwr > Go to System > Check for any Red Errors. Also keep a look out for Yellow Disk Warnings, but otherwise ignore the warnings

Two options that come to mind currently:

1) Have you tested your hard drive at all? Have had issues where when the disk is put under a lot of stress (running games), it has a bit of a tantrum and freezes

2) As another suggestion, I would run memtest again on your RAM but this time leaving it for longer. Generally 7 passes is the least amount you should be aiming for and 20 passes being the manufacturer burn in test. I've actually seen errors happen around the 40th pass (I had to leave the machine running over the weekend).

I'd never rule out RAM totally until left overnight, or longer.

Other then that, I'd be testing the video RAM next but since its a new card I wouldn't be rushing to it. However, you could just be that unlucky.

Thank you once more for your efforts to help me, you dont understand how thankful i am. THANK YOU.

Anyways ive been checking the event viewer when it crashes. Nothing shows up when it crahes. Onlly 1 warning saying that an unexpected shutdown happend.

I have not tested my hard drive, how could i do that?

2) I also tried playing my pc with each stick individually. all crashed the same. If that doesnt completely rule it out, i could rma it. Id like to run memtest for that long, but my room just gets WAY to hot. but i will if i have to.

3)how do i test video ram. i shouldnt rush to it, but i could do it anyways just to be sure.

No problem :)

1) For the hard drive test, you will need to provide us with the brand of your drive so we can match the tool

2) Sometimes if you are running your RAM at the incorrect voltages, it can cause errors. Check what recommended voltages you should be running on your RAM sticks. And make sure that it matches with that in your BIOS. It should be under advanced options and will list the voltages for a few components

3) Testing your video memory, you can use this tool here. It's pretty easy to run.

4) Also to make sure that your system is configured to dump its memory files so we may be able to debug them the next time it crashes.

Go to Start > Right Click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced > In the 'Start up and Recovery' click on settings > Make sure 'Write an event to the system log' is ticked and 'Automatically restart' is unticked. And then in the 'Write debugging information' Select 'Small memory dump'

Ok, again thank you

1) Im not 100%, i got my hard drive in one of those plastic pakages with no box(its cheaper) On this plastic box it says WD Caviar 750gb Serial ATA HD. Take from that what you will, i will look into it more.

2) I will check on this.

3)testing it now.

4) did this!

I will keep you updated.

ok so its not my video ram, as for my ram voltage in bios im having a bit of an issue.
It should be set to 1.65. but it pushes it up to 1.66. It then gives me a message saying that anything over 1.65 can cause permanent damage. why is this?

Where is it pushing up to 1.66, is it in the bios? Explain a bit more about this

Sometimes a bios update can solve the voltage confusion between the motherboard and the parts.

I'll have a look for a bios update for your board and the correct updating process.

In my bios i am trying to set my ram voltage to 1.65v. But when i type this is, it turns out as 1,66v. Then i get that message.

Here's a suggestion,

Have you taking out sticks and running them by themselves? Sometimes, even though you don't see noticeable errors a stick of RAM can decide not to play nicely with the others and cause random errors.

Other then that, I'd proceed to update the bios (if you havent done so previously). BIOS updates can help with certain glitches within windows. Here's a guide from ASUS, make sure you follow each step carefully as updating the BIOS can be potentially harmful if done incorrectly.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then you will need to go into your BIOS and list all the settings you have in this area
Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [XX]
CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ ?
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ ?
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____?
Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ____ ?
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____ ?
Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____ ?
Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____ ?
Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______ ?
Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____ ?
Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Ignore the settings mentioned as yours may be different

Ok yes, i have tried running each stick individually, all cause this issue.

As for updating my bios, there are 2 on the website. The newest one, says beta. Do i choose that one? or the one previous to it?

I will get this bios info for you.

I'd try the previous one for now, beta BIOS updates can be safe but its better to go with one that has a full release.

You can always update to the beta version later.

ok, i have a story for you.
I went to update my bios EXACTLY like you said.
While it was updating, it said there was some sort of error. So it asked me if i should abort, or try again.I aborted, and re-downloaded the bios. When i went to Asus update, it then said that it couldnt find an asus bios.

I restarted my PC. Now it will not turn back on. My bios is gone?
What do i do now?
When i turn it on, it shows nothing on the screen, and the fans make more noise, as if they are trying harder.
It will do this untill i turn it off.
what now?

Did the computer start correctly after you aborted the bios update? If it did then put a jumper on the CLR CMOS pins on the motherboard (dont leave the jumper on their). If that fails then id say you've corrupted your bios, try sending it back to the manufacturer for repair

Since it failed in the 'updating' part and not in the 'erasing' section then there are a few things you can try yourself (if you feel confident going inside your machine). You will need to take all the anti-static precautions, so you don't cause damage.

1. Clearing the CMOS can actually solve this issue. If you remove the CMOS battery and leave the machine unplugged, without the battery for a few hours and see if it powers on after that.

Step 1 is a long shot, but worth a try

2. Since your machine has a BIOS recovery option, then you will need to look in the manual that came with your motherboard for steps on how to do this. This does require using the 'correct' BIOS version needed for your motherboard, to replace the corrupted one you currently have. And also entails having to switch the BIOS jumper on your motherboard to 'recovery mode'. Make sure you are comfortable doing this.

You can also take it into a local computer store and have them do it for you. The options are entirely up to you. Unfortunately, like I explained earlier incorrectly updating the BIOS (even through, not your own doing) can cause problems with the board. But it is rather recoverable especially with the newer boards. Sorry you were so unlucky :(

ok so , i fixed the bios issue, asus sent me a new chip.
I thought that fixed the issue, but while playing call of duty 4, i have gotten it again.
I need more assistance with this.

Also i will try getting that info from my bios that was asked for ^^

I'm having the same exact problem as you. Have you solved the problem? Are there eny solutions?
I've RMAed the card but EVGA said that it is ok.

Asus P6t Deluxe
Intel Corei7 940
EVGA GTX260 Core 216 Superclocked
6gb DDR3 1333 OCZ

I've not overclocked anything.

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back