Crashing issue assistance

Jake25

My computer has crashed twice and I receive a blue screen message asking me to send a report to microsoft. How can I figure out what is going on?

I have gone through diagnostics with Dell customer service and all my hardware is functioning properly...

What other tests can I run?

Blue screens create minidumps, and we need to see those. If this laptop is still under warranty have it looked over by a Dell technician, or post any minidumps per the instructions in the link I provided

I doubt I need to have it looked by a technician at the moment without any troubleshooting.

When I attempt to post the minidumps and go to the minidump folder it says no items match my search... why can't I upload these? I have the same issue when I attempt to upload my event log...

Also the top three events in my event log are related to Kernel Power. On closer inspection my PSU which my laptop charger is connected to has possibly been short circuiting I will throw it out and purchase a new one.

Please advise on how to proceed, Thanks.

Try another AC Adapter first. If it is not connecting properly or if it is loose, this could mean a new motherboard may be needed, or at least a trip to a repair shop

I've just called Dell customer service and run another diagnostic test there are no hardware issues. I have two bunk PSU's which certainly could have caused issues. I am getting a completely new one today.

For internet security I run Kaspersky Internet Security 2013. Just with not being able to upload the minidump or event log files is unusual...

Get into Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings. Startup & Recovery, Settings. Uncheck "time to display a list of operating systems", and "automatically restart". Set small memory dump (256kb)... Make sure you have installed all the Windows Updates including all the optional ones

Hi Jake25,

We are sorry to hear of the inconvenience caused to you. When Microsoft Windows encounters a condition that compromises safe system operation, the system halts and displays a Stop Code. This is also commonly referred to as a system crash, a kernel error, a Stop Error, or Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD). There are many different reasons why the system halts with a BSOD however, they are mainly contributed to either the Operating System (OS), a driver, faulty hardware or newly installed hardware.

You will find the Dell article mentioned in the link below helpful for troubleshooting the blue screens on your Dell Inspiron 17R SE (Special Edition) Laptop.

http://dell.to/13wFFnj

You may have opted for Dell’s limited hardware warranty on your computer which covers defects in materials and workmanship in your Dell-branded hardware products, including Dell-branded peripheral products.
Please feel free to contact Dell for any issues with your computer. There are various options mentioned in the link given below for contacting Dell for any assistance you may require.

http://dell.to/12XFmCv

Let us know if you currently need further support with your Dell computer, we would be happy to help.
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Thanks and regards,
Babita G
#iworkforDell [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Support Site .[/FONT]

Get into Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings. Startup & Recovery, Settings. Uncheck "time to display a list of operating systems", and "automatically restart". Set small memory dump (256kb)... Make sure you have installed all the Windows Updates including all the optional ones

What will this accomplish?

Hi Jake25,

We are sorry to hear of the inconvenience caused to you. When Microsoft Windows encounters a condition that compromises safe system operation, the system halts and displays a Stop Code. This is also commonly referred to as a system crash, a kernel error, a Stop Error, or Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD). There are many different reasons why the system halts with a BSOD however, they are mainly contributed to either the Operating System (OS), a driver, faulty hardware or newly installed hardware.

You will find the Dell article mentioned in the link below helpful for troubleshooting the blue screens on your Dell Inspiron 17R SE (Special Edition) Laptop.

http://dell.to/13wFFnj

You may have opted for Dell’s limited hardware warranty on your computer which covers defects in materials and workmanship in your Dell-branded hardware products, including Dell-branded peripheral products.
Please feel free to contact Dell for any issues with your computer. There are various options mentioned in the link given below for contacting Dell for any assistance you may require.

http://dell.to/12XFmCv

Let us know if you currently need further support with your Dell computer, we would be happy to help.

[FONT=Arial]Thanks and regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Babita G[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]#iworkforDell [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our[/FONT][FONT=Arial]Support Site .[/FONT]

I am in Australia so I don't know if your customer support will apply. I have purchased Dell's 2 year extended warranty in my country.

The problem I have is I canno't upload the memory.dmp or event log files from my computer to this website when I attempt to upload a file both files don't appear here but I can see them on my computer.

I had another minidump but I still don't know exactly what is causing it...

Is there something wrong with this website? when I click upload a file and go to my minidump folder it simply states "no items match your search" yet the file is clearly there when look it up under windows. I also have All Files types selected so it wouldn't exclude anything...

Hi Jake25,

[FONT=Times New Roman]If the steps mentioned above did not resolve the issue, click on the link below to run the Dell PC Diagnostics on your computer.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]http://dell.to/13X4Rq2[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]You can run four types of diagnostics using this tool:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman] Full System Diagnostics.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman] Hardware Diagnostics.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman] Software Diagnostics.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman] Symptom-based diagnostics.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Run the Software Diagnostics which has a blue-screen analyzer which will let us know which driver/application or hardware is causing this issue.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Please revert with error messages, in case you get any.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Thanks and regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Babita G[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]#iworkforDell [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit ourSupport Site .[/FONT]

I have completed the software diagnostics. But when I attempt to run the blue screen troubleshooter I get an unexpected error occurred message on your website...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 2
[FONT=Museo For Dell]Hi Jake25,[/FONT]
[FONT=Museo For Dell] [/FONT]
[FONT=Museo For Dell]Thank you for your reply. It may be frustrating that the issue continues to bother you. Since you are getting an error while running the Blue Screen analyzer, please check the Microsoft links below which may prove helpful in troubleshooting the issue. [/FONT]
[FONT=Museo For Dell]How to read the small memory dump file that is created by Windows if a crash occurs: http://bit.ly/14Hxgih[/FONT]

[FONT=Museo For Dell]Download and Install Debugging Tools for Windows:[/FONT][FONT=Museo For Dell]http://bit.ly/fKEPwy[/FONT]
[FONT=Museo For Dell]Use the Debugging Tools for Windows to debug drivers, applications, and services which may be causing the system crashes. Since you are not able to upload the complete error message, please try to record the Stop error code you see along with its description only. It will help us identify which particular hardware, driver or third-party application may be causing the issue. Try using your system in the safe mode to check if it crashes in the safe mode as well. Keep tapping F8 continously on startup, then select "Safe mode with networking". Let us know if the system crashes when in the safe mode. [/FONT]
[FONT=Museo For Dell]Awaiting your reply.[/FONT]

[FONT=Museo For Dell]Thanks and regards,
Babita G
#iworkforDell [/FONT]

[FONT=Museo For Dell]For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our [/FONT][FONT=Museo For Dell]Support Site[/FONT][FONT=Museo For Dell] .[/FONT]

Can I get some help as to which debugging tool I should use??

The crashes have occurred a few times now they haven't occurred for some days so has the issue resolved itself?

Also with the minidump file if I try to run it through Windows Debugger it says I don't have permission to open this file. Yet when I check in properties I have full access privileges, this is very odd.

If you are not getting any more crashes, don't worry about debugging tools. A program like Bluescreenview is all you need to decode and post any new minidumps

[FONT=Arial]Hi Jake25,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]I am sorry for the delay in responding to your query as I was on leave. With reference to your query regarding which Debugging tool to use, you can use the option for Install Debugging Tools for Windows as a Standalone Component. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Following are a few other suggestions: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Since you are continuously getting these system crashes, I would request you to keep the system in the System Setup/BIOS screen overnight. You need to continuously tap F2 at start-up to access the System Setup screen and leave the system on for the entire night. If in the morning you find that it crashes in the BIOS and reboots to the desktop, that would indicate an issue with the system hardware, if not then the Operating System or some other conflicting program or driver may be causing the crashes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Also, are you using Internet Explorer or any other browser? The Blue Screen Analyzer is compatible with Internet Explorer and has issues with other browsers. So you may try to run the Blue Screen Analyzer in Internet Explorer.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Since the system is still crashing intermittently, please back up all relevant data. You may have to take the system back to factory settings by following any of the two methods mentioned below.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]How to launch the Windows 8 Refresh or Reset:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Swipe the side bar to Launch the Charm Toolbar( Windows + C )[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Choose Settings [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Choose More PC Settings and go to General[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Scroll down and choose between: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Refresh your PC without affecting your files - The Refresh option is primarily a repair method. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]It is a great method of returning your PC to a known good state while preserving your files and a great deal of your configuration. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]With the Refresh your PC option, user accounts, data files, and some settings are preserved on your PC without the need to create a backup, or make choices about what to keep or remove[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]OR[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Remove everything and reinstall Windows[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]The Remove everything and reinstall Windows option permanently removes your personal files and apps from the PC and returns Windows 8 to its original state. That original state is either a clean install of Windows 8, or the Dell factory-default configuration, depending on the media used for the operation[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] Once again, I apologise for the delay in replying to your query. Please reply if you have any further queries. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial] Thanks and regards,
Babita G
#iworkforDell [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial] For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Support Site[/FONT][FONT=Arial] .[/FONT]

Back