Crashing/Rebooting issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoDave

Hello all, I just found this site while trying to trouble shoot my system and it looks like a good place to ask some questions. Im having some irritating issues with my computer. Its hapened since I built the thing last october but lately it seams to be getting worse. Im suffering from random crashing/rebooting. While playing almost any game even old games like Diablo 2 and newer games like Age of Conan and even while brousing the internet, watching video, listening to Mp3's and virus scans my system will crash and reboot. Ive seen the blue screen of death a few times as well. Most of the time it happens I get a very annoying sound through my speakers...loud staticy garbled sounds that can pulse or remain constant. Sometimes while the sound is constant I have to push the reset button or the sound wont stop and the system wont restart. Ive added my system specs to my profile except for my power supply. I dont remember the maker of the power supply but I got it at raidoshack...thats probably my first mistake. Its a 700w supply with the 24 pin atx power connector but it lacks the 8 pin atx 12v power connector. I also dont remember the maker of my ram and now I dont remember if its ddr or ddr2...i want to say ddr2. Ive set my start up and recovery settings to not automaticaly restart and set write debugging information to none as suggested in a different thread. The computer has since crashed and rebooted while in a loading screen for Diablo 2 and it didnt give any error message. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you need anymore info, and im sure you do, pleas ask and I will provide it asap.

Thanks!!

edit: Just checked nvidia monitor and my temps are as follows while only running IE: CPU 50c System 34c GPU 55c. Ill try running a program and checking after a few minutes.

System crashed and rebooted before I could check temps...its 4am and that means bed time. Ill give more info tomorrow, er later today, as its requested.

Could you post the MiniDumps (.dmp files) it may give a bit more info as to what the cause of these crashes and bluescreens are.
Also normally reboots and crashing can be caused by Faulty RAM, Damaged HDD or Dust build up meaning higher temps which you have tried to check. I don't know about GPU temps but i think your CPU temp and System temps you posted look alright. Anything under 60c for your CPU while underload and 40c-45c for your system is ok.

From 12/26/07 to 6/27/08 4 minidumps per zip. the 3rd and 4th are the most recent. Ill go ahead and pull the comp apart and dust it again to see if that helps. Thanks for helping, I appreciate it!!

Attachments

• bluescreens 1.zip
    83.4 KB · Views: 5
Inside Mini Dumps

This is a lot of text from those Mini Dumps took me 30mins for them.

Minidump 122607-01:
BugCheck 1000000A, {b0, 2, 0, 804f4498}
Probably caused by : VIDEOPRT.SYS ( VIDEOPRT!VpNotifyEaData+e )
PROCESS_NAME: System

Minidump 122707-01:
BugCheck 100000D1, {40cb98fa, ff, 8, 40cb98fa}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nv4_disp.dll
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nv4_disp.dll
Probably caused by : nv4_disp.dll ( nv4_disp+112d8e )
PROCESS_NAME: iw3sp.exe

Minidump 020108-01:
BugCheck 100000D1, {13898fa, ff, 8, 13898fa}
Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )
PROCESS_NAME: iw3mp.exe

Minidump 021708-01:
BugCheck 100000D1, {3f6df0b8, ff, 8, 3f6df0b8}
PROCESS_NAME: NeroVision.exe

Minidump 042808-01:
BugCheck 100000D1, {3aca38fa, ff, 8, 3aca38fa}
Probably caused by : NDIS.SYS ( NDIS!___PchSym_+c )
PROCESS_NAME: Wow.exe

Minidump 051308-01:
BugCheck 100000D1, {4acba8fa, ff, 8, 4acba8fa}

Minidump 051908-01:
BugCheck 100000D1, {71fe48fa, ff, 8, 71fe48fa}
Probably caused by : NDIS.SYS ( NDIS!___PchSym_+c )

Minidump 051908-02:
BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 80540a24, b34d2cf0, 0}
Probably caused by : hardware ( nt!KiServiceExit2+0 )

Minidump 052408-01:
BugCheck 100000D1, {6024c8fa, ff, 8, 6024c8fa}
PROCESS_NAME: iw3sp.exe

Minidump 052508-01:
BugCheck 100000D1, {69dea0b8, ff, 8, 69dea0b8}
Probably caused by : NDIS.sys ( NDIS!___PchSym_+c )
PROCESS_NAME: AgeOfConan.exe

Minidump 052808-01:
BugCheck 1000000A, {16, 1c, 0, 804fa11e}
Unable to load image nv4_disp.dll, Win32 error 0n2
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nv4_disp.dll
Probably caused by : nv4_disp.dll ( nv4_disp+a8746 )

Minidump 052908-01:
BugCheck 1000000A, {54, 1c, 1, 805021a8}
Probably caused by : VIDEOPRT.SYS ( VIDEOPRT!pVideoPortDispatch+98 )

Minidump 060408-01:
BugCheck 1000000A, {16, 1c, 0, 804fa266}
Probably caused by : MountMgr.sys ( MountMgr!MountMgrDeviceControl+2e )
PROCESS_NAME: svchost.exe

Minidump 061308-01:
BugCheck 100000D1, {4b1db0a9, ff, 8, 4b1db0a9}
Probably caused by : NDIS.sys ( NDIS!___PchSym_+c )

Minidump 061608-01:
BugCheck 1000000A, {16, 1c, 0, 804fa266}
Unable to load image nv4_disp.dll, Win32 error 0n2
Probably caused by : nv4_disp.dll ( nv4_disp+a8746 )

Minidump 062708-01:
BugCheck 100000D1, {76f900b8, ff, 8, 76f900b8}

Definitions Of BugChecks
All BugChecks 0xA
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.

All BugChecks 0xD1
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If kernel debugger is available get stack backtrace.

BugCheck 0x8E
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000008e)
This is a very common bugcheck. Usually the exception address pinpoints
the driver/function that caused the problem. Always note this address
as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address.
Some common problems are exception code 0x80000003. This means a hard
coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but this system was booted
/NODEBUG. This is not supposed to happen as developers should never have
hardcoded breakpoints in retail code, but ...
If this happens, make sure a debugger gets connected, and the
system is booted /DEBUG. This will let us see why this breakpoint is
happening.

I will post again with some solutions.

Firstly run Memtest to check your RAM isn't faulty for a minimum of 7 passes. Next check your HDD with a Disk Check Utility, these are normally on your HDD manufacturers website. Also try taking out your Graphics card and Sound if possible and then running one of your games.

Thats the BugCheck: 1000008E which is a Hardware problem you may have sorted it out already since it occurs only once in your Mini Dumps but check again anyway just to make sure.

For BugCheck: 100000D1
Try a Virus Scan and see if you notice the WOW execute file and other Process Names detected by it. I had one earlier with that BugCheck and the Process Name was a game execute and it turned out to be a Virus so try that, also if you haven't already remove Nero Vision that was a cause for you earlier this year to get a BSOD.
And get your OS disk and try a Repair Install because some reasons for this error are faulty device drivers, but the drivers mentioned are Windows Drivers so the Repair Install should cure that

And lastly
BugCheck: 100000A - It seems that this error is because of incorrect or faulty device drivers.
Update your Display Adapters And Video or Multimedia Drivers in Device Manager.
And then post back when you have done all this.
Other people on here could point out anything I've missed as well.

wow, thats alot to process!! Thanks for taking the time to sort through all that, thats huge!!! I will preform the recommended checks and updates. Hopefully I can get it all sorted out tonight. Again, thank you so much, I know I keep saying it but I really do appreciate it!!!

Ok, running memtest right now. I have to instances running at the same time checking the recommended 794 MB each. Headin over to Western Digital next to get the disk check utility, then ill run that and post the results of the memtest and disk check. As for taking out the Graphics and sound cards, i just want to make sure im clear on this, you mean to phisically remove them from the mother board, right?

Ok, found my HD number its WD1200JB-00EVA0 120gb 7200 Rpm. I can not find a Disk check utility but going to properties on the C drive and then selecting tools brings up an error checking test. I will preform that test shortly. If that is not the correct utility let me know and I will continue to scower their page for the utility.

Memtest has been running fo rover an hour now. The instances are at 211.1 % coverage and 210.7% coverage with zero errors. I am stopping the tests now to run the error checking test.

ok, while running the error checking test i was watching a movie and im not sure if step 5 or 5 completed. The system rebooted before i took a look at the progress. Last time I checked process 5 of 5 was at 56% and quickly raising. When the system recovered i got "the system has recovered from a serious error" message. It says a log was created but I dont know where to look for it. I dont know if this info is useful to you but decided to post it just incase.

system crashed an hour and a half through the virus scan. I did however do a quick scan and found and removed several tracking cookies. All video and audio drivers are up to date. FYI: I uninstalled WOW a month or so ago. Nero is what I use to burn cd's and dvd's... The software came with my cd/dvd drive. Is there something better I can use in its place that I wont have to buy?

Okay just got to catch up a bit now while you were doing all this i was asleep.
So you've checked the RAM for 7 passes and no error came up that can probably put that out then, the scan you did will do but also just try your HDD manufacturer's test here but i'm not sure of the exact details of the HDD so you will have to try and find the correct download although they all look the same.
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...p_faqid=7&p_created=1003423281&p_sp=undefined

By trying the HDD manufacturers test if that causes the system to reboot then you may have a failing HDD probably a damaged part of the disk. It happened to my Laptop HDD, it rebooted while doing both tests for me: Windows Disk Check and my old HDD Manufacturer test. That should be the last thing Nero should be alright it might just been a one off when that was the cause of a BSOD.

Oh also yes by physically removing the Sound and Graphics card and testing one of your games on low graphics setting it will rule that out because the 0x8E error is just a general Hardware failure normally and doesn't pinpoint what hardware is faulty.

Ive downloaded Data Lifeguard for my hard drive but no where in it is there a disk check option. In the utilities menu there are 3 options...disk to disk copy, refomat partitions and partition unallocated space...ive emailed the company to see if im missing something and it will supposidly take at least 24 hours to get a reply. Ive gotta get to work now. Ill check back when im off in 6 hours

Odd? Ok just try running the Windows Disk Check again if it crashes or reboots then you probably have a faulty HDD.

Im going to rerun windows' disk check utility again but I just closed 2 more memtests that were running for the past 6 hours they were at 1169% and 1183% with no errors, so now im quite positive its not the ram. Im thinking its probably the hard drive since its several years old. Its at least 5 years old...EIDE drive as well and want to upgrade to an sata drive. Oh, im also going to do the repair install, ill do that before using the disk check utility. Ill report back when im done.

cant do the repair install because the version of XP on my computer is newer than the version on the disk

Windows disk check scan completed, result...Volume Clean. I ran the "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Still need to try removing the Graphics card and sound card as well as trying to get a virus scan to complete instead of crashing before finishing the process. Any ideas???

Have you had anymore Bluescreens lately?
If so then possibly post those MiniDumps because if the HDD is passing the test then it maybe the Graphics card causing problems try removing the Graphics card and Sound card as i said before and run one of your Games at the lowest possible Video settings, test the older games as well as the newer games and see if that causes anything to happen.

Ive had 2 more blue screens i think and im prety sure they were from my sound card. I had tried to update the drivers when we first started looking into this problem and I ended up downloading beta drivers. The beta drivers didnt work and to install them i had to uninstall my other drivers. I redownloaded the old drivers and got the card working again. Then yesterday the card switched back to the beta drivers and stopped working. While trying to fix the problem yesterday I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and did a few system restores. During the restores and instillation of drivers I got the blue screens. Ill post them in a few minutes.

I take that back...there are no new minidumps...ill pull the graphics card and try that. I probably wont beable to get to it for a few days though.

Yeah it alright i know it's Independence Day for you lot in America so know everyone will probably be busy there. By you putting Ca as your location i'm assuming your in America that being short for California. Hope you have a good day :)

yup, near San Francisco! Just got off work now I gotta pick my girl up om her job and take an hour drive out to a friends house...

My board doesnt have onboard video...cant remove the card, cant believe i never noticed that...

Still crashing...quite often tonight, cant feel any heat blowing out of the tower from the fans, infact the air coming out of the tower is quite cool...i cant figure out, for the life of me, whats goin on and it really sucks...

Oh, this is my ram by the way http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_platinum_revision_2...a few friends said it could be the cause of the problems but are not sure, others have suggested i may just have a crap GPU, which im beginning to believe

im not getting anny error codes. My machine is just freezing up and rebooting. Constantly. Ill go check out the site but there are no error codes for me to reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back