Creative sound card issue

This is a werid issue. I am running windows 7 home 64 bit. I have a creative xfi titanium fatality pro sound card. I just bought a new headset (turtle beach dx12). before I always used usb headsets so this was never an issue. me and my friends use ventrilo to chat while gaming. the headset works but when loud music or loud game sounds are played it broadcasts them to my friends in ventrilo. this happens even when my mic is muted so it has to be coming from my sound card. also if im listening to music on low volume it plays the music behind my voice while I talk even though its not loud enough to be picked up from the mic. I've tried messing with the settings to the sound card but I cannot figure out why it keep broadcasting loud sounds. I have all the newest drivers. does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

In your Ventrilo config, can you change the device that is selected as sound input device? E.g. select explicitly to use your microphone and not some "default" microphone device?

Possibly... if you have the latest drivers I'd be surprised no-one has brought this up before. Vent seems reasonably common.

Back