Crowdfunding for Project CARS 2 has already begun; developers aim for $7 million goal

midian182

Staff member

crowdfunding project cars project cars 2

With the original Project CARS having been released barely a month ago, it has come as quite a surprise that developer Slightly Mad Studios has already started a crowfunding campaign to make the sequel.

As with the first game, Slightly Mad is once more using the World of Mass Development platform to raise funds and allow fans to have their say in the game's creation. There are various levels of donation available, each one granting the backer a new reward. The lowest tier will get you a digital copy of the game on its release, as well as build access and other perks, while the $15,824 Diamond tier gets you a Michelin-starred dinner with the head of the studio and a luxury weekend with a Ferrari 458 Spider.

The current funding goal is $7 million, although Slightly Mad has already added $250,000 of their own money towards this. The original game's campaign was hugely successful, and given the mostly positive reception Project CARS received on its release, we expect this target to be attained quickly.

crowdfunding project cars project cars 2

This second game promises fans the largest track roster ever, with 50 unique locations and over 200 courses. Many of these will have 'loose surface racing' on dirt, gravel, mud, and snow. There's also a new co-op career mode, allowing players to take the role of teammate driver, spotter, driver swap, or co-pilot.

In an attempt to alleviate the fears of the one million plus people who own the first game, Slightly Mad has pointed out that they will still be supporting the first Project CARS with a series of updates.

Projects CARS 2 is planned for release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC. A potential date when we might see the finished game has yet to be announced.

Permalink to story.

A million + people bought their game and people helped fund the 1st one and all they can add is $250000.

Wich is pretty good, they prob used most of the money made with the 1st game to employ more people, get new hardware/software and stuff like that. Also, people who donate this way get the game for free, so it isn't much different from a pre order.

Maybe they can do it without that GameWorks nonsense this time so they don't screw with AMD users as well as Kepler/Fermi Nvidia users.
Or maybe by them it will be time to screw Maxwell users too, so everyone has to upgrade to Pascal.

Why does the articles of the last few days have this crap in it?
No need to have a cow. I've already made mention of it in the Moderator/Admin private forum. FYI, Site Feedback and Suggestions forum is the place for you to report these things. Sure, you can comment here and maybe an Admin will see it but the SF and S forum is the best place. And, BTW, moderators can't fix this.

Why are they developing an entirely new game when so much work went into this game with attention to detail and graphics. This seems like a huge money grab because unless they rebuild the engine they just built or drastically change the game mechanics enough to warrant massive development time then whatever they put in the game could've been added to the original with DLCs. That's why its a money grab to get these loyal customers to shell out another 60 bucks for a essentially DLC

If Project Cars was such a failure that they require more crowdfunding, there should be no sequel. They screwed over Wii U supporters to boot it seems. It all sounds shady to me.

A million + people bought their game and people helped fund the 1st one and all they can add is $250000.
Condo's, a few luxury vehicles, private schools and a coke habit can work out to be pretty costly you know.
Lol @Skidmarksdeluxe... On another note, a coworker was telling me a/b this crowdfunded game a little less than a yr ago. However, I never paid it any mind. Only reason why I remember it was b/c he would always rant a/b how the developers promised the backers it was gonna be released on Wii U and then suddenly they scrapped the idea. So if devs are gonna be wishy washy in that regard, there's no telling what this could mean for backers of the sequel.

I just want realism, good crash and mechanical problems physics...

The game would be a lot more fun, cmon.

Lol @Skidmarksdeluxe... On another note, a coworker was telling me a/b this crowdfunded game a little less than a yr ago. However, I never paid it any mind. Only reason why I remember it was b/c he would always rant a/b how the developers promised the backers it was gonna be released on Wii U and then suddenly they scrapped the idea. So if devs are gonna be wishy washy in that regard, there's no telling what this could mean for backers of the sequel.
Project CARS seems to be a hit so I'm sure they'll hit their target from crowdfunding. I'd like to play the game myself but it hasn't come on special yet.

Maybe they can do it without that GameWorks nonsense this time so they don't screw with AMD users as well as Kepler/Fermi Nvidia users.
Or maybe by them it will be time to screw Maxwell users too, so everyone has to upgrade to Pascal.
Project CARS does not use GameWorks.

SMS are not seeking to raise 7 million from crowdfunding. The point of it is to let people join to help the development with suggestions, feedback and testing. The sign ups will only be open for a limited time, and almost all the actual funding will come from other sources.

I was a funder of the now-released Project CARS and participated in the development testing and feedback to Slightly Mad Studios. After the funding met it's goal (quickly!), people who hadn't gotten in whined endlessly for 3+ years that they couldn't get in. Project CARS is, IMHO, the best simulation-style racing game ever released.

I'm a Silver level funder for Project CARS 2, looking forward to participating in it's development, testing and feedback stage. If you want to get in on the pCARS2 action, I recommend you do so this summer as I expect they will reach the goal even more quickly than for pCARS (1).

Project CARS seems to be a hit so I'm sure they'll hit their target from crowdfunding. I'd like to play the game myself but it hasn't come on special yet.

It was in the Steam Summer sale. Picked it up pretty much half price.

Back