Cryorig turns to Kickstarter to fund retro-inspired Taku PC case

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Cryorig, a relative newcomer in the PC cooling industry, is trying its hand at designing a modern computer case with a retro feel.

The Taku, currently seeking funding on Kickstarter, is an ITX chassis designed to house a high-end PC in a space-saving manner. Unlike most desktops these days, the Taku is meant to sit horizontally on your desk with your monitor resting atop.

Perhaps the case’s top feature is the slide-out hardware tray that can easily be removed, making it incredibly easy to install new hardware or perform maintenance / upgrades.

Despite its slim design, Cryorig says the case can house a graphics card measuring up to 280mm in length. There’s also room for two 2.5-inch solid state drives and a single 3.5-inch drive.

The case can support a monitor weighing up to 15 kilograms (just over 33 pounds). The built-in stand provides enough room to slide a full-size 104-key keyboard underneath (length of 460mm and height of 53mm), freeing up room on your desk to eat a meal, work on your laptop, etc.

Cryorig says it has been working on the Taku for more than two years and partnered with Lian Li to manufacture it.

Those interested in backing the project will need to shell out a minimum of $250 to get their name on the shipping list. Assuming Cryorig meets its $100,000 funding goal, the company expects to ship the Taku this September.

Permalink to story.

Why waste your moolah backing some Kickstarter project when these things will be a dime a dozen a few years from now... if it actually works out. Manufacturers will ape them thereby starting a whole new form factor industry.

There's a lot of over engineering here that adds to the development and production cost of this case that are not particularly needed. It is pretty nice looking though, and would be pretty easy to liquid cool if you wanted to go that route (with some slight modifications).

"Saving desk space". LOL. The case measures 57cm (W) x 31cm (D) x 14.2cm (H). That's a huge footprint of 1,767cm2 and volume of 25,091cm3. To keep things in perspective, small MATX towers like the Fractal Design Core 1500 or Sharkoon MA-M1000 take up only 768-900cm2 footprint and when stood on unused floor, use 0cm2 desk space and are placed further away from the ears giving a free effective 3-4db reduction in perceived noise from fans. It's just another "chic" +$250-$400 giant 'Mini'-ITX design that's ended up twice the size of a half-decent $40 M-ATX case it's trying to "downsize" from.

If you truly want to save desk space, the obvious solution is "buy a case that goes under the desk not on it". Combine that with a workstation / desk that has a slide out keyb + mouse drawer and perhaps a monitor arm that fixes to the wall / back edge of the desk, and now you genuinely have saved your whole desk.

Why waste your moolah backing some Kickstarter project when these things will be a dime a dozen a few years from now... if it actually works out. Manufacturers will ape them thereby starting a whole new form factor industry.

It's also helpful to gauge customer interest, because sometimes this platform is more than simply driving funds to build it. I could point out the fact that I'm sure many people, were aware of Banner Saga but did anyone know the second game came out? It's a good platform to draw customers in, as well as a marketing tool for getting feedback and so much more.

Pretty but it does look a little like an old Mux case - think I'll spray my case cream to get the retro look :)

For that kind of money just to "get in" I can go buy a old 2U rackmount case and make my own with lots or room for expansion.

Back