Cryptominers try to pivot GPU farms to AI workloads after crypto decline

Daniel Sims

Staff
The big picture: As the initial hype surrounding technology trends such as cryptocurrency mining, web3, blockchain, NFTs, and the Metaverse has subsided, many individuals and organizations involved seem to be redirecting their attention towards generative AI. This shift is also affecting hardware originally intended for blockchain and mining, which could potentially repurpose its processing power for AI applications.

Two large cryptomining companies, Hut 8 and Hive Blockchain, have redirected their mining GPU infrastructure toward high-performance computing (HPC), which includes AI workloads. This move could help recoup investments on GPUs the companies originally purchased for cryptocurrency mining, a market that dramatically shifted last year.

Miners bought so many PC graphics cards during past crypto booms to mine Ethereum that it drove up GPU prices, frustrating consumers who wanted to use them for playing games. Ethereum was particularly well-suited to GPU-based mining until the cryptocurrency transitioned its backend late last year. The subsequent crypto winter forced miners to return or resell used GPUs, although Bitcoin has recovered somewhat.

However, GPUs are also one of the main engines powering generative AI like ChatGPT (along with large numbers of contractors earning $15 an hour).

Nvidia believes AI is a much better use of its cards than crypto. The involvement of tech giants like Microsoft and Google further legitimizes AI as an alternative path for companies holding onto GPU-based crypto farms.

Hut 8's HPC business generated approximately $16.9 million last year, accounting for about 11 percent of its overall revenue. This increase is attributed to shifting processing power to AI clients. Similarly, Hive aims to grow its HPC income from $1 million to $10 million in 2024 and $20 million by 2025. The revenue could contribute to recovering the $66 million it paid Nvidia for graphics cards in 2021.

However, most crypto operators will not be able to rely on AI as a lifeline. Miner brokerage service Bitpro Consulting states that only five to 15 percent of mining GPUs can transition to HPC.

Moreover, AI applications demand substantial amounts of hardware that necessitate a large maintenance staff. Attempting this shift also puts prospective HPC companies in competition with Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services, which already offer mature HPC infrastructure to AI clients. Therefore, only the largest mining companies are likely to make the transition. Ordinary GPU buyers probably won't experience a massive influx of AI startups driving up prices anytime soon.

Permalink to story.

Oh good, the crypto nonsense is getting replaced by AI nonsense. Another thing getting shoved down our throats that nobody really needs or wants.
I disagree. There no comparison. With all its "financial freedom" promises, crypto`s only use was (hah, I`m already using past tense) just to be a tool for taking money from fools. When they run out of fools, just like a pyramid, it collapsed. AI on the other hand it`s like when Internet appeared or Goggle. It`s a life changer. Most people still think of AIs like a machine having a consciousness or some yet crazy stuff, without informing themselves what an AI is and how many types of AI are and for what purposes. On one hand, it opens up a window of opportunities for a layman (I`m not working in IT and I`m not an artist and I used chatGPT to write a program in C++ that I needed and I used Midjourney to make crazy cool pictures) and on the other, it can also help humanity solve the most difficult of tasks. If AIs will arise on the grave of cryptocurrencies, I couldn`t be happier. And furthermore, maybe even crypto, when stripped of all its hype, money, farms and conmen, will show if it has indeed a real life value.

I disagree. There no comparison. With all its "financial freedom" promises, crypto`s only use was (hah, I`m already using past tense) just to be a tool for taking money from fools. When they run out of fools, just like a pyramid, it collapsed. AI on the other hand it`s like when Internet appeared or Goggle. It`s a life changer. Most people still think of AIs like a machine having a consciousness or some yet crazy stuff, without informing themselves what an AI is and how many types of AI are and for what purposes. On one hand, it opens up a window of opportunities for a layman (I`m not working in IT and I`m not an artist and I used chatGPT to write a program in C++ that I needed and I used Midjourney to make crazy cool pictures) and on the other, it can also help humanity solve the most difficult of tasks. If AIs will arise on the grave of cryptocurrencies, I couldn`t be happier. And furthermore, maybe even crypto, when stripped of all its hype, money, farms and conmen, will show if it has indeed a real life value.

Maybe one day in the future we might have AI. Right now it's not actual AI. It's just a parrot - so to speak - it just regurgitates the information it has based on the question(s) you ask. The algorithms in use are certainly impressive, but it's still not AI.

Is it intriguing? Sure.
Is it a life changer? Depends on your current needs and/or use for it.
Is it a money maker right now? Absolutely and that's what makes it interesting for all these companies to introduce "AI" into their marketing and then product usage. They want a piece of that next big pie coming down the pipe.

Maybe one day in the future we might have AI. Right now it's not actual AI. It's just a parrot - so to speak - it just regurgitates the information it has based on the question(s) you ask. The algorithms in use are certainly impressive, but it's still not AI.

Is it intriguing? Sure.
Is it a life changer? Depends on your current needs and/or use for it.
Is it a money maker right now? Absolutely and that's what makes it interesting for all these companies to introduce "AI" into their marketing and then product usage. They want a piece of that next big pie coming down the pipe.
No, AI is not just a parrot regurgitating information it already has. While some AI models may rely on pre-existing data or information to make predictions or generate responses, many AI models are designed to learn and adapt to new data and situations.

For example, in machine learning, algorithms can be trained on large datasets to make predictions or classifications based on new data that they haven't seen before. Reinforcement learning algorithms can learn to make decisions based on feedback from their environment. Natural language processing models can generate responses to novel prompts based on their understanding of language and context.

But as I said, most people associate consciousness with intelligence. Consciousness and intelligence are related but distinct concepts. Intelligence refers to the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills, while consciousness refers to subjective awareness and experience. That's why people get confused. And sure, I hate the hype as the next person and the companies will feed you that till you'll get sick, but I think it's important to see beyond that, to understand what it is and what real life benefits could you get.

Btw, chatGPT helped me give you a better answer, lol.

Oh good, the crypto nonsense is getting replaced by AI nonsense. Another thing getting shoved down our throats that nobody really needs or wants.

nobody wants or needs?

So you speak for everyone on the planet hilarious dude.

I hate to burst your bubble, but...

And using AI to write a C++ program will not make you a programmer, and who did you entertain with your "crazy cool" pictures. Yourself?

The reasons you cite that its good are the same reasons I cite that it is not worth my time. Then again, I've 25+-years experience programming, and I already know I'm no artist and that AI will not make an artist out of me.

IMO, AI is nothing more than a FAD at this point and may not ever be anything more than a FAD.

nobody wants or needs?

So you speak for everyone on the planet hilarious dude.
How about "encouraging people to pretend to be something they are not"? We've got too much of that in the world already. AI is not going to make some dolt any smarter, although, it may make that same dolt look smarter. There's a big difference in that.

I hate to burst your bubble, but...

And using AI to write a C++ program will not make you a programmer, and who did you entertain with your "crazy cool" pictures. Yourself?

The reasons you cite that its good are the same reasons I cite that it is not worth my time. Then again, I've 25+-years experience programming, and I already know I'm no artist and that AI will not make an artist out of me.

IMO, AI is nothing more than a FAD at this point and may not ever be anything more than a FAD.
I never said it makes me a programmer or an artist, but it helps me get things done easier than having to learn a ton of stuff and that is a cool tool to have. But soon, when they`ll introduce plugins (for chatGPT, that is), it will also be a great help for professionals, because, for example, it could be integrated in an IDE or read your whole Github and improve your code and give you suggestions. Now, I can see the hostility coming from most old programmers like you and talking down to people is not going to help. This will not replace you or your experience, but it could help a lot, from trivial things for the layman to serious stuff for you and everybody in the coming future. Tbh, I would have expected this defensive attitude rather from people that are not in IT and don`t understand what this is about.

Back