Crysis 2 Performance Preview

i have a core i7 930, HD 5850 and 6 Gigs RAM and Im confident based on this preview that I can run this in DX 11 on hardcore .... fingers crossed ... cant wait

Personally I didn't see much difference between this and the Xbox demo BUT then xbox is directx9 and this is directx9. For example, the faces in Crysis 1 (Directx 10) were way better than they are in Crysis 2... HUGE difference... So I am really hoping that directx11 will change a lot in the game. There were a ton of objects that looked grainy and just plain bad... I personally love the structure of New York and how they made it but several things I don't like in Crysis 1 almost everything was destroyable! trees you could shoot down was so much fun. In crysis 2 it feels more stationary. I can't punch through walls and cool stuff.... I just want to be able to take down a skyscraper if I have enough explosives! Water was also not as good as Crysis 1.. Dont get me wrong the game looks good just not great and I'm hoping that will change by the time they release it.

DX11 looks best on small compact things, so yes faces will be a lot better.

But really, should at least change the title of this to say "not final" or something..

You seriously admitting, in public, you downloaded a pirate piece of software - this piece of software no less, which has received quite a bit of publicity - for "testing purposes" ahead of the offical release, or an offical press copy? And then you exhort readers to ensure they buy the real thing themselves, assuring us all that you will do the same?

Am I the only reader who thinks there's something deeply wrong with this?

ess333 said:
i have a core i7 930, HD 5850 and 6 Gigs RAM and Im confident based on this preview that I can run this in DX 11 on hardcore .... fingers crossed ... cant wait

I've got an i7 950, HD 5850 and 4 GB of RAM. Ditto, can't wait.

I haven't downloaded it (I do not download since veeery long time - actually last download was Quake 3 some years ago... :-D ) but if no destructible environment... hmm... maybe will not be that interesting.

Currently I play BF:BC2 and I like (actually love) the destructive environment...

This article has a big flaw. You guys do realize that there is only 1 set of textures and models in the leak right? All going from gamer to hardcore does is add godrays and bloom. So I hope people don't think hardcore will perform this well in the final release.

Granted It may help some people but it seems quite pointless atm. I was planning on doing something similar but admitting that I downloaded it is a crime.

Also I don't want to sound cruel, but it would be kinda funny if Crytek had a field day trying to get rid of this article :p

Screenshots are very confusing and I'm glad that I didn't pre-ordered the game quickly. I mean all I can see is a few post-fx such as HDR pipeline, Lens Flare and Motion Blur which is very common in games (Such as CoD, LostPlanet, SplitSecond, NFS, ...) these days.

Overall, game graphics is like 2006 games and still running too sloow on modern hardware. I'm sure it will be same in final release too and you can't expect them to magically fix those problems.

Another thing that makes me sad is that CPU performance, which isn't included like previous game reviews and author is missing that important part. Anyway, thanks for the quick review.

Guest said:
You seriously admitting, in public, you downloaded a pirate piece of software - this piece of software no less, which has received quite a bit of publicity - for "testing purposes" ahead of the offical release, or an offical press copy? And then you exhort readers to ensure they buy the real thing themselves, assuring us all that you will do the same?

Am I the only reader who thinks there's something deeply wrong with this?

I absolutely agree. We all have read countless posts from the anti-piracy crowd on how there is "NO EXCUSE" for piracy. Plenty of Techspot posters have publicly admitted to doing the exact same practice of downloading a pirated version to test it and have been been called everything from pirate to low life to thief. Where is the outcry for Techspot doing the same thing?

Well TomSEA and Red1776..let them have it.

I hope your umbrella is **** proof, TechSpot.
Seriously, don't be surprised to have repercussions after this article.

Have a nice day

O come on... it's an unfinished BETA. Personally I have not downloaded it and won't play the release until a patch comes out to fix all the bugs that "slipped" through.

Just giving people an idea how the performance of the BETA is doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. If your going to play it from start to end then yes, I would say it's a bad thing

I absolutely agree. We all have read countless posts from the anti-piracy crowd on how there is "NO EXCUSE" for piracy. Plenty of Techspot posters have publicly admitted to doing the exact same practice of downloading a pirated version to test it and have been been called everything from pirate to low life to thief. Where is the outcry for Techspot doing the same thing?

Well TomSEA and Red1776..let them have it.

:haha::haha::haha:

Right before you posted that, I thought " Tom must not be up yet!

Hey, My jaw was on the floor when I first saw this. I am going to wait and see what the response is. The jaw on the floor thing is that I thought that there must be some kind of "arrangement " or understanding for Crytek to make the best of this situation and is issuing passes on early reviews or something. I obviously don't know Julio, Steve, personally, but I have been hanging around here for the better part of three years and they strike me as above board kinda guys. It's easy to "let them have it" when you are dealing with people who simply come out and say "screw you, It's not mine, but I am taking it anyway".
In short, I am going to shut up until I know what the story is.

**** huh....I thought you would have jumped all over me by now Dark :)***

I love the fact that TechSpot has previewed the hardware specs of this pirated beta version of this game. All my games bar 2 or 3 are from torrent sites! Used to be from the Barra's. Hardware these days costs a bomb, sad elitist companys take what they get!!!! FREE THE PLANET!!! F**K THE CORPORATIONS!!! NWO SCUM!!!

I feel like this was a really dumb article. The game doesn't even really support anything above medium settings, and even then medium isn't working 100% correctly.

"The jaw on the floor thing is that I thought that there must be some kind of "arrangement " or understanding for Crytek to make the best of this situation and is issuing passes on early reviews or something."

Why would Crytek want a review on a non-complete game? Secondly, if there was an arrangement with Crytek to review the game, Why hasn't every other tech website posted the same thing? Finally, If there was an agreement, why would Techspot have written that "disclaimer" and not disclosed the agreement?

"I obviously don't know Julio, Steve, personally, but I have been hanging around here for the better part of three years and they strike me as above board kinda guys"

I'm sure they are the nicest guys in the world as well as millions of other illegal downloaders.

'It's easy to "let them have it" when you are dealing with people who simply come out and say "screw you, It's not mine, but I am taking it anyway"."

So what is the problem with doing the same thing to Techspot. They are in business to make money giving their opinions on technology. Should they not be held to the same standard as everyone else who is involved with piracy? Techspot is not the victim. They did not "accidentally' trip over a hump in the rug and write a review of a pirated game as much as people would like to think so.

I think this SNAFU is going to be an excellent experiment on seeing things from the other side of the fence. Piracy is either cut and dry wrong and stealing or it isn't as bad as people think. People have to pick one side or the other but not both sides when it is convenient.

What a bunch of crybabies...lol Techspot downloaded the leaked game,who gives a f..k! The only thing that kind of annoys me about the whole thing is this...I think Crysis 2 has HORRIBLE graphics,nowhere near as good as Crysis 1 on pc. You people kill me,do you really think Crytek gives a f..k about pc gaming? This game was developed for consoles first and foremost...the pc market is getting a port of a console game,not the consoles getting a port of a pc game..lol

So what is the problem with doing the same thing to Techspot. They are in business to make money giving their opinions on technology. Should they not be held to the same standard as everyone else who is involved with piracy? Techspot is not the victim. They did not "accidentally' trip over a hump in the rug and write a review of a pirated game as much as people would like to think so.

I think this SNAFU is going to be an excellent experiment on seeing things from the other side of the fence. Piracy is either cut and dry wrong and stealing or it isn't as bad as people think. People have to pick one side or the other but not both sides when it is convenient.

You read into and parsed what I wrote to fit your point, of which you may have...and be completely correct. If you are, I will be the first one to write it here all in caps if you like.
All I am saying is that this (if it is what you are asserting) just seems way out of character to me. My thought was that it's very plausible that since the kitty was let out of the burlap early, Crytek may very well try to mitigate things by giving the green light to talk it up and review the ...ahem..."escaped beta" I just would like to know if there is more to the story before everyone starts blasting away at Steve and the crew. If your right...your right. I think you picked on the wrong person here Dark. I do not go around seeking out people to call them crooks for the sport of it. I argue that intellectual property is indeed property and not for others to arbitrarily help themselves to Just as they would not want others to help themselves to the results of their efforts,creativity, or possessions.
And BTW, I really, really want to have a look at this game, however I have not, and will not until I purchase my copy in March. My intellectual integrity is in tact...and will remain that way.
*** your point about a disclaimer is well taken***

Let me tell you guys at Techspot, you have done nothing wrong in downloading the leaked build to do this preview.

And too all guys shaming techspot, I bet you have a copy of crysis 2 beta on your computer too, so.... shut up.

It seems CryEngine3 is even more badass, but at DX9 the scores are a bit of a putoff. Seriously, if the console's pathetic 7900GT or HD2600/X1900 class graphics can deliver 30fps, then why does a core i7 and HD5770 put up only 26fps???

POOR OPTIMIZATION CRYTEK, I EXPECTED BETTER

Very amused at all the people trying to bash Techspot for this right now, have you never ever downloaded something "Illegally"? if you say No that's a straight up lie and you know it. I do agree that the article is somewhat pointless in the fact that is is an unfinished release that doesn't support the full potential of what the game will be. That being said it clearly states that in the article and there will be a complete review of the final release when the game comes out in March. So take this for what it is, a Beta Test or preview or whatever, but keep your negative thoughts to yourself. Nobody cares.

Back