Crysis! let's start a fun thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slux773

Ok guys, I'm brand new to this forum so I'll start off this show with a bang. Hopefully this will turn into a nice, big thread. I've been watching YouTube alot lately and it seems that when testing video cards or showing off their rig, crysis is the game most often used. So I thought it would be fun (for those of us who think we have THE most awesome machine ever!) to post the FPS we get on crysis. And if you don't have crysis, just post your FPS on your favorite game. (prefferably, one that has very complicated graphics and requires massive multi-sampling.) I just built a new rig so I'm eager to show it off lol(see my system specs)

Crysis - 58 FPS on max settings and res

World of Warcraft - 98 frames per second (80ish in dala and 25s..if you play wow you know lol) on max settings and res

All the games I play that are in that graphics ball park fall somewhere in there, average is around 70-80 with most games.

If your talking about that GTX 280 system, IMO could have gone much better with less money spent on your RAM, and instead putting that money into a 5890.

Why yes...GTX280 is rather old now. At least you could have gotten a GTX 285? I was under the impression they completely phased out the 280's in favor of the 285's...in fact newegg lists the 285's being a bit cheaper.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5970,2474-8.html

As you can see, a single 5890 beats out the SLI 280's.
Not only that but NVidia just announced GTX480, so theres some (likey) better cards coming, out which usually means price drops.

If your talking about that GTX 280 system, IMO could have gone much better with less money spent on your RAM, and instead putting that money into a 5890.

Hey, HK can I borrow your time machine? I'd seriously be keen on picking up a 5890 before anyone else can get their hands on one! ;)

If you're referring to the 5970 then you'd need to be johnny-on-the-spot in a lot of markets. Locally, a 5970, when available, is around $NZ1350-1400 (a little over twice the price of a 5870 or three times the price of a 5850/GTX285). Crossfired 5870/5850 wouldn't be far off the same performance levels and should be considerably cheaper in any market.
I also have SLI'ed GTX280's - when I got mine the HD5xxx series was probably no more than a glint in Dirk Meyer's eye....maybe our OP has had his for a 1+ years too or got a sweetheart deal. Just because they are new to Techspot doesn't automatically mean they are new to computers- Even if they were the poster hasn't asked anyone to find a replacement graphics solution.

Anyhow, welcome aboard Slux773. If you're not already familiar with Crysis tweaking here's a great guide http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_2.html . You'll find that many Crysis benchmarkers have optimized the hellout of the game so numbers can be quite misleading. For instance I can average 60+ fps (custom max.settings /1920x1080 ) with graphics cards at stock core/shader/mem.

Just out of interest.
If you have a workstation Intel 5520 chipset Asus board then it's a Z8PE-D18. As far as I know the board is a dual socket Xeon (E/L/W/X55xx) CPU board only (doesn't support Core i7) and requires ECC RAM modules (which G.Skill do not produce), and being triple channel, 3, 6 or 12Gb would be more common.
You might want to check your motherboard model and chipset in your sig.

Oh yeah thats right the 5970...idk how I found benches of it and didn't notice.
No wonder searching for 5890 didn't turn up!

My mistake guys, 58 was on 1024x768...

max was considerably less at 42, still quite nice though

That's pretty low frames for your setup. I play Warhead at 1280x1024 on Gamer Settings and get an average of 55 - 60 frames with 4xAA. With the same settings on Enthusiast frames drop by about 15.

That's pretty low frames for your setup. I play Warhead at 1280x1024 on Gamer Settings and get an average of 55 - 60 frames with 4xAA. With the same settings on Enthusiast frames drop by about 15.

Most every other game I play will be 70ish..Crysis is the most demanding game out right now and gets an average of 25-30 FPS less

Most every other game I play will be 70ish

Hi Slux773. Are you absolutely sure of those figures? With 2 x GTX 280 in most other games you should definitely be getting well over 100 frames (150+)!!!

I think DBZ has a very similar setup to yours. You should comapre your performance with his to determine if everything is working as it should.

I'm not absolutely sure but I have a feeling that your rig is capable of doing better...

This would be much more interesting if we had some specifics. FPS can vary greatly depending on what level you are benchmarking and where in the game.

Hi Slux773. Are you absolutely sure of those figures? With 2 x GTX 280 in most other games you should definitely be getting well over 100 frames (150+)!!!

I think DBZ has a very similar setup to yours. You should comapre your performance with his to determine if everything is working as it should.

I'm not absolutely sure but I have a feeling that your rig is capable of doing better...

maybe not Rit, SLI has had its share of problems.

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?cat=grfx&id=618&pagenumber=4

lol i could never play a game at 1024 x 768... but in 1080p i get around 50fps through most of the game with two 4870s. i'm pretty sure nobody's rig can handle that game with maxed resolution and detail, especially in DX10.

Thanks for the heads up red.

Just wondering, does performance take a big hit when going from 1280x1024 to 1680x1050?

Thanks for the heads up red.

Just wondering, does performance take a big hit when going from 1280x1024 to 1680x1050?

That's a good question, i have been playing at 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1080 so I don't know.
I will give it a try on my rig and let you know.

Yeah, those are definitely the figures. They are, after all, only the 280 model; perhaps the 295 would be getting those kinds of numbers you are talking about. But the only game I've played on 1080p, max res, max settings, max multi-sampling and gotten over 100 FPS is WoW. And crysis especially, there are no graphics cards on the market (including crossfire and SLI) that can pull 100 FPS on that **** man lol..like I say, average game play is around 70ish maybe 80

Some baseline card numbers for 1280, 1680, 1920 at DX9/10
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-280-sli-triple-review-test/5
Bear in mind that there's a patch or two since and these tests use 177 era drivers (plus an older chipset with 2Gb RAM) and that Crysis doesn't scale much in Crossfire or SLI
Crysis, and to some extent Warhead, are very much unoptimized games which is why they are generally tweaked- If done well on an i7 with better drivers you can add maybe 35% to each fps value for SLI'ed GTX280's

Some baseline card numbers for 1280, 1680, 1920 at DX9/10
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-280-sli-triple-review-test/5
Bear in mind that there's a patch or two since and these tests use 177 era drivers (plus an older chipset with 2Gb RAM) and that Crysis doesn't scale much in Crossfire or SLI
Crysis, and to some extent Warhead, are very much unoptimized games which is why they are generally tweaked- If done well on an i7 with better drivers you can add maybe 35% to each fps value for SLI'ed GTX280's

heh, I don't think that updating my drivers would do much of anything at all, they don't make your cards run any better. All keeping your drivers updated does is make sure that your card maintains the performance it has already been capable of. To say that I can get a 35% FPS boost by just updating my graphics drivers is quite laughable.

And...crossfire and SLI *absolutely* increases graphic performance by a considerable amount no matter what the game is.

Careful what you say on forums like this man, I understand that you are interested in computers and you want to sound knowledgable about them. But people use these forums to help them decide what hardware to buy and how to maintain them, so when you go and say stuff like that, you could be costing people some money, bro :\ -Steve

heh, I don't think that updating my drivers would do much of anything at all, they don't make your cards run any better. All keeping your drivers updated does is make sure that your card maintains the performance it has already been capable of.

So.....updating drivers doesn't optimize them better for games ? So, for arguments sake, I could run Borderlands with 177 WHQL drivers as well as say 196.34 ?
So how about comparing 182/186 series drivers with early 190...seems like a little difference there. Check out the Left 4 Dead fps difference too.

To say that I can get a 35% FPS boost by just updating my graphics drivers is quite laughable.

Comprehension fail- you obviously need the game optimization + drivers. If you could read the link I posted for optimizing Crysis and actually followed some of process you'd see firsthand - assuming you could get your imaginary single i7 950/Intel dual socket Xeon workstation board to run the game (or anything)- the benefits it achieves. Don't believe me? well check out this thread https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic142755.html seems like a satified customer to me.

And...crossfire and SLI *absolutely* increases graphic performance by a considerable amount no matter what the game is.

And?
I think I mentioned scaling ( a percentage) rather than graphics performance

Careful what you say on forums like this man, I understand that you are interested in computers and you want to sound knowledgable about them. But people use these forums to help them decide what hardware to buy and how to maintain them, so when you go and say stuff like that, you could be costing people some money, bro :\ -Steve

How precisely would I be costing them money, bro ?
You see me steering anyone down the wrong path, maybe getting them to buy incompatible hardware like, oh, I don't know, say...advising someone to buy a Core i7 950 to go with an incompatible dual socket EEC-only ws mobo, then filling it with non-EEC dual channel RAM for it's EEC-only tri-channel memory...you mean that kind of steering?.....Well, no, I really wouldn't do that, because that's where idiocy goes to wave its warped genitalia in the face of logic...and we already have that option covered now. Thanks for coming :wave:

Just because they are new to Techspot doesn't automatically mean they are new to computers- Even if they were the poster hasn't asked anyone to find a replacement graphics solution.
Lol...:).

Aye, Lol indeed !

Hopefully the next batch of new posters are an improvement. That's about as much irony as I can handle for this thread. :blackeye:

I agree!,
and there is no way that he gets better FPS than my rig does

ASUS P6X58D
AMD x4 965
ATI 5990 X2........:rolleyes::haha:

Laughable! You should be the one being "careful". No one here (in their right senses) would disagree with what DBZ said. Well anyway, this thread was "fun"! It exposed some ignorance on your part. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back