Custom computer desk ideas

dustinl15

So I am going to be building a custom computer desk and would like some ideas on what to do or not to do. Things like features, or just about anything that you can think of that would be nice to have.

--Room for 2-3 22 inch wide-screen monitors.
--Cabinet on floor with open back and side vent for tower
--Underneath in the back will have a cabinet or panel across the entire back to keep all the cables hidden and for the UPS to sit on shelves
--Cabinet for the printer (thinking roll out)
--Roll out keyboard tray
--not sure where the wireless router will go yet ----- any ideas
--we also have a 19 inch TV on our current desk, not sure what to do with that but it might sit on top the new one again.

Does anyone else have any experience or things they did or wish they would've/could've done for their computer desk. This desk will be against a wall.

Hmm...Sounds pretty good so far. For your router placement, I put mine on a rollout cabinet with my printer. What will be your desk dimensions? I always wished i had a bigger desk..

It is about 8 feet wide but I can't remember the depth or height. It is all being custom built by a friend.

8 feet of desk is nice. I've only got about 5 1/2, perfect height, not very deep, and always a mess lol

I have a small realtively cheap one I got from Staples for my secondary PC. It has the shelving for CDs above the monitor space, I really like that feature, and then on one of the sides it has taller bays for books and game boxes or whatever. So I'd suggest maybe some sort of upper tier above your montors for dvds/cds, maybe tall enough to hold a 100disk spindle.... It could be open topped too, but I think it looks nicer if its got a 'roof' over it, and then you could even put stuff on the roof.

Id suggested mounting the router directly to the desk IE screw it in to the desk. One day I'll get around to making myself a desk that will be an awesome desk for years to come but I'm very lazy.

You should see mine. We cut some cheap counter-top and mounted it with some brackets to the wall. I have a swivel seat for it, and it's in the corner with my chair, and I can turn my chair and watch TV.

Now I just need somewhere to put this random HDD and Ubuntu CD's....

Back