Custom PC will not properly start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I apologize if I'm not putting this in the right section, but did not exactly know where it should go >_<.

Anyway, I have a friend who was using an extremely old computer that died recently, so he decided to custom build a new PC. I helped him pick out the parts for his PC, as I am kind of familiar in building a custom PC, since I built the one I am using now. So, I helped him pick out the parts, and he got them and attempted to put the computer together. He said he had experience in building a PC, but it was so long ago that he might be rusty at the whole deal. And the fact that he lives out of state made it so I couldn't exactly help him.

Well, the first problem started when he said that the Power Supply was a tad too big to fit in the case's hole for it, which I found kind of odd. But he worked around the problem, he said that the problem was that the PSU was a bit too tall and kind of touched on the roof and fan. I didn't think that'd be a big deal.

He had some problems putting in the CPU's cooling system, saying it was tough for him to hook it down. But nothing too bad.

Now the real problems started when he hooked it all in. When I first did mine something went wrong and I fried my motherboard, so I made sure to tell him to make SURE he mounted the motherboard correctly. So, he said he made sure and all that, and today he said when he hooked up JUST the motherboard to the Power Supply that it received power, it had the solid green light. But when he hooked everything else in and tried to start the computer, all the LEDs and fans would go on for about 1/4-1.2 of a second then it would all turn off completely, instantly. The green light flickered off the first time he tried to turn it on. But now he says that when he tries to turn it on the green light stays solid throughout, never goes off. Only all the fans and LEDs go off instantly.

We asked around and investigated all we could to narrow the problem down, and we think it was either that the motherboard is fried, or that there's something wrong with the PSU. He can't test the PSU because he has no other ones to test on the computer. So yeah, I've decided to ask you guys what you think may be the problem and how to fix it, or if he'll just end up having to buy a new motherboard and PSU.

Specs:

Motherboard-
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Power Supply-
BFG Tech BFGR800WPSULE 800W ATX 12V 2.2 and EPS 12V 2.91 Power Supply CE, FCC, TUV, CUL - Retail

Processor -
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Hard Drive-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

The video card, sound card, case, and DVD drive I think would be fine.. I doubt there would be anything wrong with them, but if you need the information I could provide it.

Thank you guys so much for your help!

here is just a stupid question ...but is he installing all this new "stuff" in that old computer case? or did he buy all this "stuff" designed for an ATX case and in fact is not in possession of an ATX case at all but some other form factor? PSU's always fit properly when installed with the recommended case size.

Nah, he bought a new case, sorry I should have clarified that. The new case is ATX:

NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back