Custom UT2004 bots are more human than real-life players

Rick

TS Evangelist
Programmers were tasked with the challenge of creating the most human-like UT2004 bots -- and it appears they delivered. In the competition sponsored by 2K games, the top two UT2004 bots tricked 52 percent of the judges into thinking they...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/50354-custom-ut2004-bots-are-more-human-than-real-life-players.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

TomSEA

TechSpot Chancellor
Man, I love Unreal Tournament - I am definitely downloading this and checking out the bots. Thanks for the article!

Burty117

TechSpot Chancellor
I love this game, I WILL be downloading and trying this beast out :)

Anyone care to share what servers they regularly go on?

psycros

TS Evangelist
Considering the attitudes and behavior of many FPS players, making a bot more human than some of them isn't that big of a feat ;)

Rasta211

TS Booster
This sounds great, I wonder if they inputted the "Camping feature" too. Human players do that too you know. They should also include the "Drunken" player for jokes.

G

Huge UT2004 fan here..still play it very regularly...though I felt the best version was the original UT (99) in terms of playability, though 2004 did bring in a lot of improvements.

I'm glad they're making smarter bots-the current AI is pretty crappy. It's a shame that they had a terrible vision for the UT franchise, could've been so much better but UT3 was a total bomb.

Burty117

TechSpot Chancellor
I wish they could re-release UT2004 with updated graphics, bigger maps and higher player cap, maybe some more vehicles and a suite of modding tools like they did UT2004.

That would be the best UT to date. Sadly, the developers don't care any more :(

DanUK

TS Booster
That's some pretty impressive programming! Presumably this sort of thing could be ported to any game in this genre? I wonder if companies sell AI code like this?

Adhmuz

TechSpot Paladin
Now to dig out the 5 CD Installation pack for UT2004 and I'll be playing in about an hour or so. Or it can be bought on steam for $15. Now to go get murdered by even smarter AI bots!

G

Sad fact that these "human-like" bots can only fool inexperienced players but when you put them against some pro players they will be busted in no time. I played vs them and I can tell that I rarely see human players which are as stupid as these "human-like" bots. In addition their skill level is poor, no fun.

Burty117

TechSpot Chancellor
Now to dig out the 5 CD Installation pack for UT2004 and I'll be playing in about an hour or so. Or it can be bought on steam for $15. Now to go get murdered by even smarter AI bots!
I had the same 5 CD pack, those were the days xD