Cyberpunk 2077 has been delayed a third time to December 10

Polycount

Staff
What just happened? It's not unheard for a AAA release to be delayed twice, especially in the Covid-19-ravaged year of 2020, but three delays? That's quite rare for highly-anticipated titles. For better or worse, though, Cyberpunk 2077 has just reached that mark: the sci-fi RPG's launch date has been postponed for the third time by 21 days, to December 10.

CD Projekt Red announced this news on Twitter today, and fan reactions have been mixed. The response to the first two delays was overwhelmingly positive, but this time around, frustration seems to be the predominant emotion among prospective players.

Regardless, for its part, the studio has a valid reason for this decision: it is struggling to optimize and test the absolutely massive RPG across nine different platforms, and a November 19 release simply wasn't going to give the team enough breathing room to figure things out.

In CD Projekt Red's own words:

The biggest challenge for us right now is shipping the game on current-gen, next-gen, and PC at the same time, which requires us to prepare and test 9 versions of it (Xbox One/X, compatibility on Xbox Series S/X, PS4/Pro, compatibility on PS5, PC, Stadia) while working from home. Since Cyberpunk 2077 evolved toward almost being a next-gen title somewhere along the way, we need to make sure everything works well and every version runs smoothly.

Ensuring every gamer has an excellent day-one experience is an admirable reason to delay a game, particularly when doing so will undoubtedly have some -- however small -- consequences for the studio's reputation (especially among investors).

CD Projekt Red goes on to claim that a game "going gold," as Cyberpunk did in October, does not necessarily mean it's entirely ready for release. According to the studio, it just means that a game is content-complete, and can be played through, from start to finish.

We wish the folks over at CD Projekt Red all the best, and we hope they're able to keep their spirits up -- and keep crunch down -- in the final stretch of development between now and December 10.

Permalink to story.

which requires us to prepare and test 9 versions of it (Xbox One/X, compatibility on Xbox Series S/X, PS4/Pro, compatibility on PS5, PC, Stadia)
Knowing how annoying it is to ship for 3, I'll certainly be giving them grace here.

A little disappointing that we'll have to wait a bit longer, but I might just queue it up to play over Christmas break now......

Just get the PC version right and sort the peasants later they'll buy anything anyway :yum??

In all seriousness for a company that said they wouldn't crunch and now they are crunching longer and harder with more and more delays I would hardly be holding them up as a fine example to the industry.

Last edited:
I'm not very optimistic about this game like many others but how long before the hype dials down?

Knowing how annoying it is to ship for 3, I'll certainly be giving them grace here.
Indeed, although it does make me wonder why they didn't go with a staggered release in the first place: ship PC and current consoles first, then launch XBSX/PS5/Stadia a month or two later.

I really think the delay is not in order to polish the game. Other things is the cause of the delays.
Apparently there was a tweet to NVidia, they don't have 3000 series cards to optimize for, NVidia boneheaded never sent them cards so they could optimize performance for.....

Giving the current state of My budget at This time of inconvenient plague, I wouldn't be too dissapointed buying it spring of '21.
Although, It would be nice to see some independent reviews before buying, so, yeah, make It December, but please, don't stretch It, CDPR.

No issues. I have no problem with games being delayed and getting the time to finish them properly.

That being said, I will have Demon's Souls and Assassin's Creed Valhalla to play before this comes out, so the delay is actually good because I will be able to fully enjoy the two above games before dipping into Cyberpunk.

Well, in reality... I will probably not even finish Demon's Souls before Cyberpunk comes out in December, let alone even touch AC Valhalla.

I prefer more time between games. It leads to enjoying them better, vs rushing through to play the next one.

Indeed, although it does make me wonder why they didn't go with a staggered release in the first place: ship PC and current consoles first, then launch XBSX/PS5/Stadia a month or two later.
It 100% looks like they want that Christmas window (and "all platforms" would maximize that), but it's also anyone's guess to how many setbacks they've had this year.

In all seriousness for a company that said they wouldn't crunch and now they are crunching longer and harder with more and more delays I would hardly be holding them up as a fine example to the industry.

What commitments did you make that you're now finding difficult to meet in the middle of a global pandemic? Did you manage to pay all of your bills on time this year? Or travel to your friend's wedding?

Do you hear that? It's the collective sigh of relief of all publishers releasing games in November.

"Gone Gold" apparently doesn't mean what it used to...

I have no problem with them delaying it. They shouldn't have announced a date in the first place. They certainly shouldn't have said that it was gold until they were 100% certain it would make the release.

They say it's "ready on PC" so release it then. Let those of us who are prepared to play it on PC play it, and those who choose to play on consoles wait. All this makes me want to do at this point is cancel my preorder and focus on games and companies that actually stick to their release dates because they're not letting lesser hardware hold them back.

Back