Cyberpunk 2077 has gone gold

Polycount

Staff
What just happened? Cyberpunk 2077 is finally just around the corner: in a few short weeks, players will be walking the streets of Night City in this long-awaited sci-fi RPG from CD Projekt Red. Today, the game has officially "gone gold," meaning it's content complete, mostly polished, and ready to ship out on discs.

Cyberpunk 2077 going gold is excellent news for gamers. It means the title will almost certainly not be delayed a third time, and reviewers will likely be able to get their hands on it very soon. Cyberpunk 2077 is set to launch on PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 come November 19. As long as you grab a copy of Cyberpunk 2077 on current devices, you'll get a free next-gen copy as well, playable when the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X hit the market.

Reaching this point hasn't been easy for CD Projekt Red's workers. As we reported last week, Cyberpunk 2077's developers are currently undergoing a period of mandatory crunch. They have to work five full workdays, and then one weekend day per week. Unlike many US studios, however, Poland-based CD Projekt Red pays its employees appropriately for these extra hours, so they are at least well-compensated for the extra effort.

Compensation aside, this new initiative goes against CD Projekt Red's previous claims that it would not be instituting a mandatory crunch policy for 2077's development. It seems even with two delays under its belt, the game is still too broad in scope to hit its targeted November 19 release date without some last-minute overtime.

Permalink to story.

A one month crunch (and I hesitate to call it that given this is very mild compared to other instances) indicates they have some bugs to squash. The fact that they have gone gold supports this.

A one month crunch (and I hesitate to call it that given this is very mild compared to other instances) indicates they have some bugs to squash. The fact that they have gone gold supports this.
An ubundance of new graphic cards before the release must mean a lot of back and forth to get the drivers ready?

"Unlike many US studios, however, Poland-based CD Projekt Red pays its employees appropriately for these extra hours, so they are at least well-compensated for the extra effort."

They also get a share of 10% of the profit the game makes.

"Unlike many US studios, however, Poland-based CD Projekt Red pays its employees appropriately for these extra hours, so they are at least well-compensated for the extra effort."

They also get a share of 10% of the profit the game makes.
Having worked in the game industry in the past, I can attest to the long hours (80-100+ hours a week) and not see a dime of overtime over base salary. US pay scale is broken...

Having worked in the game industry in the past, I can attest to the long hours (80-100+ hours a week) and not see a dime of overtime over base salary. US pay scale is broken...

If game developers are employees, how do these companies get around overtime laws?

If game developers are employees, how do these companies get around overtime laws?
Don't know about other states in the USA, but in California once you're making above a certain amount as a tech worker you're on salary and are exempt from OT. I don't recall the cutoff, but it's well below $100K per year, so any game developer with more than a few years of experience is in that category.

Don't know about other states in the USA, but in California once you're making above a certain amount as a tech worker you're on salary and are exempt from OT. I don't recall the cutoff, but it's well below $100K per year, so any game developer with more than a few years of experience is in that category.
I'm pretty sure game developers don't make $100K per year in Poland :)

In defense of the 'no-crunch' comment, it was made before a global pandemic throttled productivity across all fields.

Oh we humans never make mistakes and create bugs..oh wait..
Why do people find some sort of satisfaction in stating the obvious on the internet.
this is who we are, we are earthlings who change our minds all the time..

Back