Dad builds amazing NASA spaceship for his kids, must see

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Kids often have a very active imagination. One of my fondest memories as a youngster involved taking a cardboard box and painting it to look like a car. I even had an ignition key for my box car which made the experience that much more realistic.

Then I stumbled upon this Make video and realized my childhood vehicle was total crap.

Dad of the year candidate Jeff Highsmith built this amazing spaceship for his kids to play with completely from scratch. As you'll see in the video, he used an array of technology including an Arduino and a Raspberry Pi to manage various aspects of the ship. Heck, there's even a robotic arm and a functional intercom system to chat directly with mission control.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Lucky kid indeed. As for his dad - no way of knowing, depending on how understanding his wife is. Some make you go sleep inside the kid's house afterwards, for failing to monetize your time :)

Sounds great until the kid grows up with a superiority complex, and ends with a breakdown when he finally realises his childhood activities did nothing to educate him or begin an actual career, let alone exercise his body in the way normal activities do.

Spoilt children end up on drugs, in prostitution and as career criminals.

There is a LOT to be said for a NORMAL unspoilt childhood....not convincing your kid he is a superhero or spaceman.

Sounds great until the kid grows up with a superiority complex, and ends with a breakdown when he finally realises his childhood activities did nothing to educate him or begin an actual career, let alone exercise his body in the way normal activities do.

There is a LOT to be said for a NORMAL unspoilt childhood....not convincing your kid he is a superhero or spaceman.

You are clearly really, REALLY jealous. It's okay man. We all are. No need to elaborate on the facade of the superiority complex here.. :)

Props to this dad for this amazing effort. This kind of thing is only ‘good’ for kids, it encourages creativity and expands their minds.

Not making at effort turns kids into guest posters with poor attitudes, it's science.

Props to this dad for this amazing effort. This kind of thing is only ‘good’ for kids, it encourages creativity and expands their minds.

Not making at effort turns kids into guest posters with poor attitudes, it's science.

When your parents dont make an effort it makes them guest posters with poor attitudes, that struggle to come out of hiding they are too scared/frigile.

Fixed it for ya :)

Great job and nicely filmed for release. do wonder though what he's gonna do when the kids get bored of it in six months time (thats an optimistic estimate), putting washers on scews is all very well, my kids do that too, but seems like a whole lot of work and therefore time which could be spent doing other things, like reading books or feeding chickens..
kudos to the guy though, he's up there..

Make believe = pathetic
On the contrary, make believe is a delightful part of childhood. It promotes creative thinking and imagination. Make believe is an integral component of children's play. In adulthood are we such curmudgeons that we've forgotten how to play?

Make believe = pathetic
On the contrary, make believe is a delightful part of childhood. It promotes creative thinking and imagination. Make believe is an integral component of children's play. In adulthood are we such curmudgeons that we've forgotten how to play?
Not only that, it is also a integral part of adulthood innovation. Without make believe, we would have never developed movies either. Does he feel the same way about movies?

My childhood memories are devoid of such high tech play/toys.

the gang (the whole neighborhood kids) often go the fields to search and eat wild guavas. if we find y-shaped branches of the guava tree, we'll cut them and make slingshots. such born-free attitude is no longer found in the place where I was born, a rural place in the Philippines. a lot of areas now have 'no trespassing' signs.
at night time, usually around 6pm and before supper, we'll go to the front of the well-lit municipal court and play some versions of 'hide and seek'. when we were still very young, no girls allowed. but the 'rules' changed when we discover it's more 'fun' when there are girls around.

Back