DDR3 RAM still as much as it was 9 months ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

treetops

I built this rig 9 months ago, now that Iv had windows 7 for a while I want to add 4 more gigs to this beast. From what I can tell ram is just as much as it was. Anyone have any cheap suggestions for some ddr3 1600 2x 2gig?
USA $

Any reason in particular that you're looking to add more memory?

DDR3 is still relatively pricey at most retailers, but has come down a little bit.

25 bucks a GB is about the going rate. But shouldn't you be thinking more along the lines of matching the RAM you already have installed...? To me it seems that would be the easiest route to joy.

RAM prices go up and down all the time with little regard to how old the tech is (until you get to stuff like PC133), just check prices occasionally. I haven't been watching DDR3, but it may have dropped somewhere between 9 months ago and now, and then gone back up.

RAM prices go up and down all the time with little regard to how old the tech is (until you get to stuff like PC133), just check prices occasionally. I haven't been watching DDR3, but it may have dropped somewhere between 9 months ago and now, and then gone back up.

Bingo. It's all over the place. I've seen 4GB DDR3 1333/1600MHz kits shift by around $20 in both directions several times on Newegg since last holiday season.

Hmm I was hoping it would go the way of drr2 and become dirt cheap by now, Ill just keep an eye out. Yeah I suppose that would be ideal to match my ram. Well I heard 4gig was the most ram you can go with in xp and still get a decent amount of performance gain out of it. So I figured windows 7 64 bit would benefit from another 4 gigs.

Off topic but what is my systems weakest link? My ram? My cpu? My video card? (just curious im not having any problems)

Hmm I was hoping it would go the way of drr2 and become dirt cheap by now, Ill just keep an eye out. Yeah I suppose that would be ideal to match my ram. Well I heard 4gig was the most ram you can go with in xp and still get a decent amount of performance gain out of it. So I figured windows 7 64 bit would benefit from another 4 gigs.

Off topic but what is my systems weakest link? My ram? My cpu? My video card? (just curious im not having any problems)
Toshiba bought a bunch of memory factories, (I think I read that somewhere) and the price is pretty much being fixed. I suspect that the manufacturers really aren't going to allow the bottom fall out of the market like it did with DDR2.

As I said earlier, the going rate for DDR3 is about 25 dollars a GB (in 4GB sets), that's give or take.

I still think you should be considering matching the memory installed already, and not trying to price shop different product.

Might be worth saying that DDR ram is £25 a gig ($38).

Surely it is cheaper to make?

Might be worth saying that DDR ram is £25 a gig ($38).

Surely it is cheaper to make?
OK, why would we say that it's 25 pounds per gigabyte when the original poster is from Arizona. I'm pretty certain he's not going to mail away to England for it!

And that it's cheaper to make than it is to buy is pretty much a slam dunk. After all, people don't open factories to lose money by selling product for less that it costs them to manufacturer it.

Anybody have a strong opinion on Super Talent memory? I just got a good deal on a Mobo/CPU/RAM combo and it has 6GB Super Talent DDR3 (1333mhz). I was thinking of just selling off the memory modules but if they are any good I might just keep them. I should probably add that the board is a P6T and I want to overclock it...

You know what I started up mow2, sc2 beta, bittorrent, war3 all at once and did not even go over 3 gigs of ram being used. So bleh I am going to wait until I really need some more ram or a good deal comes along. The ram I have right now was 90$ for 2x 2gig 1600. When I do get more ram I will get the same kind, as cranky has reminded me that getting the same ram will give you better performance anyways.

That was with the title screens on, with the games running it nearly goes to 4 gig, 3.5 is the norm.

I ran super talent memory on my 6750 setup, It overclocked well, rated at 1600 1x2gb modules. They still work today in my media system. That was 06 when I purchased them.

Hmm, they sound plenty reliable from what you're saying, but I'd like to run some 1600-2000mhz modules because I overclock. I've never attempted to overclock i7 or DDR3 though so what would you recommend? I hear a lot of people getting 4ghz with the 920, and I can actually re-use my LGA-775 liquid cooling with the P6T, so I suppose that's not an unrealistic option... I just don't know what to use for memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back