Dead motherboard?

TaNaKa52

Recently, I lost display while using my pc. It went from running normally and fine to black screen and no sound out of the speakers. Everything pretty much went dead. No beeps, no error, nothing.

Specs:
Foxconn M7VMX (Crap motherboard)
Intel C2D E7400
Radeon HD 4850
Apevia 500W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8027&cm_re=apevia_500w-_-17-148-027-_-Product)

At first I figured it was my videocard. So i unplugged the hdmi and went vga into the onboard display, still nothing. The monitor doesnt recognize the video card or the onboard and the red "No power" light on the 4850 is always on. This led me to believe it was the power supply.

However, when I turn the computer on, all fans are running, the led power light turns on in front of the computer, plus i hear the hard drive turn on and it has power. So, in a nutshull, I need to determine whether the mother finally died(The ethernet port stopped working about 6 months ago) or if my PSU from 2005 is dead. I don't think its the videocard.

Have you changed the settings in BIOS to tell the BIOS to POST using the on-board graphics?

If you haven't, and its set to boot using the PCI-EX GPU it isn't going to display anything. In my experience if a motherboard fails, it doesn't work full stop. It acts totally dead - thats not to say yours is fine, but I would certainly check your BIOS settings to make sure the default video is set to on-board.

Also, remove the graphics card if you want to test if that is the problem, leaving it plugged in will likely just cause the computer confusion.

Ive removed the video card and tried to post or just access the bios but there is no option for that. My monitor doesn't even turn on. There's nothing at all. I've also tried switching mem sticks, pulled the cmos bat, etc.. Still nothing. Im going to try to replace the battery later, but i know that wont fix it.

did you check that the monitor is working?
can you check the monitor on another pc?
can you check the connection with another cable?

did you try a bios/cmos reset yet?

The monitor is a brand new Hanns G HZ251 that i bought a week ago. Works fine and Ive tested the HDMI, DVI, and VGA plugs. I also used my other 19" AOC and have no display. Its not the monitor.

I did pull the CMOS battery which reset it, but the comp doesn't post - even though all the lights and fans are on - so i have no bios which leads me to believe it is the mobo. I'd like to hear some other opinions before I decide to replace it however.

Since all my fans, led power light, and drives are working, I can pretty much single out that the PSU isnt the problem correct?

either the mb or cpu is fried take the system down to the basics unplug everything all the way down to the ram and isolate the mb and cpu only and see if the system even turns on if not its either the mb or the cpu.

Back