Dead Win XP CPU, but no boot disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
First-time poster; long-time hardware geek goin' back to the DOS days...

I was recently forced to replace a computer in a big hurry, and I got stuck with the dreaded "Vista-64"... After having many Vista-64 probs (including it not recognizing my work remote VPN) I'd now like to install Virtual PC 2007..... but it seems I'd need to have my old Win XP OS on a boot disk... which I don't have because my old computer was an OEM.... You can see the conundrum...

The old XP motherboard is totally dead... but I still have the legal product key label, pasted on the box...

So, how can I get a bootable disc version of the XP version I legally owned previously, so that I can use it to install VPC 2007 on my Vista computer? (Or am I just screwed??)
--Pamela

Buy the drive restore software from the manufacturer... usally $30 with shipping, and never over $54.... all you need to do is re-register the computer with their tech support as new owner. Then buy from their tech support... most do... Sony doesn't. eMachines you do not want.

But it is doable.. of course you will need to download all the drivers and that can amount to as many as 77 downloads.

moving password-protected files from an old HD to a new one

Aha..But HP's customer support has now solved one main question for me:

If I added an old HD to a new Vista-64 computer, how do I get my old files transferred, even if the old files were password-protected, using the MSWord password-protect feature?

-------------------------------------------------
This process is arduous, but easy:

RIGHT-click on the folder or file name.
Choose "properties."
Then choose Security / Advanced / Owner / Edit.

Then, choose a new "Owner name" for the file/folder. (If you have a choice, chose your name rather than Admin.) This action will "Reassign opwnership" pof the file/folder to yourself.
** If the choice is available, check the box that offers to change the ownership of all subfiles/subcontents under this folder.

Then choose Apply.

[You'll now get a msg that says you can't access this file unless you close out and open it afresh. Just say "OK" ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back