Win Xp over Win 98

I read through the forum regarding this subject but, everyone wanted the opposite goal IE: either Win 98 to override Win.XP or "dual Boot".
I have an old computer with tons of gigs, but with a Win 98 OS, it was created so that my daughters could play their old games! And they did for many years. Now they have all grown up and no longer use this computer.
My roommate had a Toshiba laptop that has many problems we have not been able to resolve so in the meantime I set up this old gaming computer. However., I would like to install Win XP on this machine and scrap Win 98. I am not computer savvy and building partitions is something I've never done.
Also, I have Win XP on my other (2) computers but I do not have the XP program disc. can I transfer the Xp on a USB cable from computer to computer? Sorry, I'm old school maybe you're laughing at me? it's Ok.
please enlighten me! thanks

I do not think that you can do the upgrade by USB from one computer to another because the installation program which needs to run for the install effectively customizes the installation for the components in the target computer. If I were try to do the upgrade, I would look in the 'attic' (eBay, Craigslist, etc) for a upgrade disk with its key code intact. Once I had found one (not easy), I would follow the good advice of a detailed article like http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1659

Be aware that such a computer has very limited use. I doubt there is any way you can make it 'safe' for internet use - except, possibly, creating an image copy of the OS when first installed - so you can 'start new' each time the system is bushwhacked.

This will be frustrating as I believe Microsoft no longer supports Win XP - and that means it may not be 'validated' even if you have the authorization key.

You might have more fun with CloudReady... https://www.neverware.com/freedownload/

IMO, it's time to invest in new equipment, like a cheap laptop. All modern software will be 64-bit and hardware running 98 / XP systems just will not install or run reasonably.

Back