Deep Web drug bazaar Silk Road set to become a Hollywood film

Shawn Knight

Staff member

silk road hollywood fbi movie hitman

The rise and subsequent fall of Deep Web drug bazaar Silk Road has everything you’d expect to see in a hit Hollywood film – money, FBI stings, murder for hire and an unsuspecting underground drug kingpin hiding in plain sight.

While alleged mastermind Ross William Ulbricht is facing life in prison after being sniffed out by federal agents earlier this month, Shutter Island, Mystic River, and Gone Baby Gone author Dennis Lehane will be hard at work writing a script for a full-length film based on his story.

Lehane will be working in conjunction with 20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment according to a report from Deadline. The script will be written based on an upcoming article by journalist Joshua Davis who will also serve as a producer on the movie. Davis is the co-founder of Epic Magazine and was responsible for writing the article that served as the basis for the Oscar award-winning film Argo.

Law enforcement officials claim Ulbricht pocketed around $80 million in commission on sales of $1.2 billion from the website - money that's still reprotedly tied up in Bitcoin out of the FBI's reach. But perhaps more pressing are allegations that Ulbricht put out two hits during his stint as Silk Road boss.

The first was against a former employee that supposedly stole a large amount of Bitcoin from Ulbricht. Court documents say he paid $80,000 to carry out the hit although the person he hired was actually an undercover agent. The second hit allegedly cost Ulbricht $150,000 although there is no evidence that the murder ever took place.

Permalink to story.

Hope they make it more erm... less nerdy xD It's not fun watching someone build a website then earning cash so its what like a 15min film it will need quite a bit of filler!

Hope they make it more erm... less nerdy xD It's not fun watching someone build a website then earning cash so its what like a 15min film it will need quite a bit of filler!
Going by what the news says this guy was very not nice at all and did things that normal web builders do not do.

yes, it will be 'Based on a true story' which means the general background is true, but the filler stuff isn't. For example, Apollo 13 was based on a true story, but the astronauts never actually argued when they were out in space like they did in the movie. I'll bet they can think of a couple things to spice up the silk road story.

The general drift I'm getting here is, everybody thinks the FBI should be out chasing "real criminals", instead of hassling drug dealers on the internet.

All that's left is for somebody to provide me with a definition of "real criminals".

Perhaps someone who's into public decapitations, would that fill the bill?

And not only that, but a person such as this,would likely have his, (or her), computer illegally downloading copyrighted material, while he, (or she), is out and about on the town cutting the neighbor's head off.

You see, I'm a bit confused. :confused: When people start babbling about, "the FBI should be chasing real criminals", each time, they tend to raise the the bar as to exactly what defines, "real crime".:D

yes, it will be 'Based on a true story' which means the general background is true, but the filler stuff isn't. For example, Apollo 13 was based on a true story, but the astronauts never actually argued when they were out in space like they did in the movie. I'll bet they can think of a couple things to spice up the silk road story.

I see plenty of fillers - the two "alleged" hits taken out by Ulbricht, rise and fall, etc... I'm sure the writer will have no problem getting fillers.

You see, I'm a bit confused. :confused: When people start babbling about, "the FBI should be chasing real criminals", each time, they tend to raise the the bar as to exactly what defines, "real crime".:D
You have a point. However what I don't see as a crime is when you have two willing parties (one dealing and one receiving), where no one else is effected. To me real crime is where unwilling parties are having things forced upon them. Does that sound familiar when speaking about governmental control?

Cliff
Sorry but I disagree. So its not "hurting anyone" by your definition. But we have all seen the drug documentaries. Attended the DARE events. Seen all the news stories on 60 mins 20/20 Dateline. There are ppl getting hurt, just not in the commision of THIS crime. We cant sit back and go "oh well no one got hurt here" and accept it. What about all the lives and families lost up to the point of the sale online? Do those ppl not deserve SOME justice? And how exactly is the govt controling you?
@Capt.
Those same ppl who b!tch that the FBI should be going after "REAL CRIMINALS" are normally the ones commiting the crime the FBI is going after. Im with you on this one.

Cliff
Sorry but I disagree. So its not "hurting anyone" by your definition. But we have all seen the drug documentaries. Attended the DARE events. Seen all the news stories on 60 mins 20/20 Dateline. There are ppl getting hurt, just not in the commision of THIS crime. We cant sit back and go "oh well no one got hurt here" and accept it. What about all the lives and families lost up to the point of the sale online? Do those ppl not deserve SOME justice? And how exactly is the govt controling you?
@Capt.
Those same ppl who b!tch that the FBI should be going after "REAL CRIMINALS" are normally the ones commiting the crime the FBI is going after. Im with you on this one.

If you throw yourself off the golden gate bride should the family get some justice? No, Why? Because he did it all to himself if people didn't want to destroy their families then why take drugs up to the point of going insane or into debt or even jumping off the golden gate bridge?

If you stab yourself on purpose should your family get some justice by the fbi going after the knife maker as I mean if the knife wasn't their then you wouldn't have been able to stab yourself right?

See what I mean you cant just pull the strings and blame something that has little significance to the outcome.

Wasted
I dont mean to point this out wrong so let me try again. So you seem to neglect all the death and destruction in the simple act of making a illegal drug. How many innocent ppl who have no connection to the drug business with the sole exception of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or the innocent victims of living in a area that drugs are either produced or distributed. There is a lot of misery before it ever gets to the point of being sold. Ofcourse when you ignore all that came before its easy to sit back and say no one is being hurt. But by the time it reaches the quality/quantity to be sold many ppl have already suffered.

Wasted
I dont mean to point this out wrong so let me try again. So you seem to neglect all the death and destruction in the simple act of making a illegal drug. How many innocent ppl who have no connection to the drug business with the sole exception of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or the innocent victims of living in a area that drugs are either produced or distributed. There is a lot of misery before it ever gets to the point of being sold. Ofcourse when you ignore all that came before its easy to sit back and say no one is being hurt. But by the time it reaches the quality/quantity to be sold many ppl have already suffered.

I can agree with you their but from when the site was up just before it got took down I looked for all those kinds of drugs on the site and guess what... I found non it was all the usual drugs so ye a few scams but apart from that it was no rapeme drugs or anything like that... Trust me I did my research for them lol.

Dealing with drug deals can leave you dead but with silk road all that was done online so drug dealers couldn't kill you or rob you hence why it was a better system.

And how exactly is the govt controlling you?
Lets give a small list.
  • Government mandates specific chemicals be used in food produces and then fines you for producing your own without the chemicals.
  • Child Support (I have my reason for refusing to pay, it has nothing to do with not wanting to support my kids). One of which is the government telling me I have to pay and how much.
  • Lets not forget the Obamacare BS. I don't take meds, drugs, and haven't been to the doctor in over 10 years. From what I hear, the government is now mandating that everyone carry health insurance. **** you Obama!
  • Car insurance, what a ripoff, you are forced by law to pay in multitudes more than you actually damage. It's been 15 years since I've had an accident, and that was due to faulty brakes. To this day I still don't understand how they failed, but that doesn't stop the rates from increasing.
  • And all the BS projects they force you to foot the bill on in the name of taxes. I'm willing to bet 95% of the projects, I wouldn't be willing to support.
Every one of the items I listed is legalized theft, which in my opinion strips them of their right to judge others for theft. There might actually be less people taking drugs, if they were not stomped on by their own government and treated like dogs.

Back