"Default Gateway not available" Requires the ethernet adapter to be reset

Kyorisi

As title says. I am having internet issues, where it will randomly just stop working, the internet icon will turn yellow, and when using the built in diagnostics, it will fix by resetting the "Ethernet Adapter 2." It can happen again within a few minutes though, few hours or even days, its sporadic as to when it happens.

I did an ipconfig/all, while it is working, will try again when it isn't working to see what it looks like.

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-RJ0D224
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-Link Gigabit PCI Express Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-25-E9-1F-0F-0F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.26(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, 21 June 2018 18:15:28
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, 22 June 2018 18:15:28
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 193.162.153.164
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I have already tried reinstalling drivers. So I am looking at having to buy a new network adapter I suppose. Sucks, but if it'll help me get rid of this issue, I'll have to do it.

I see that it is a desktop. Do you use a LOM (lan on motherboard) or do you have a network adaptor installed in a pc slot? Who makes the pc and network adaptor and what os do you have? If it says ethernet adapter 2, you probably have a network adaptor installed in a pc slot, however in your ipconfig listed above, you only have one adaptor listied, unless you omitted the other for brevity's sake. If you do have 2, that would mean one is disabled in network connetions.. I don't know if the newer computer motherboards have a LOM. But if you do have a LOM and a network adapter in a pc slot you might try using the other network adapter. If I knew who makes the network adaptor or if it was a LOM or a third party adaptor in a pc slot I might have more to work with.

Last edited:
It has not been resolved, no, a lot of things has happened since, I have been attempting a lot of fixes. At the moment, I am using my LOM, after the second PCIe Network card simply wouldn't work either. The thing is, while the issues on both of them were very similar, they weren't exactly the same. The original Lan card in the motherboard used to have spasms of no activity, it wouldn't register the cable, or it would shut down and restart, not sure which. The second network card would do the same, however where there were no fix or hints on the first one, diagnostics could find the issue on the second one, being gateway issues, and it would then proceed to restart the adaptor.

Since then though, as it was more or less unplayable I switched back to the original LOM, because my father found a large driver update for it. The driver update has made it stable enough for use, It went down twice over the three first days, then once over the next 3 days, and were quickly back up and running.

Still annoying and frustrating of course, but if it only happens up to once a day, for a few seconds, then I can live with it. Just for the sake of information, when it does happen, the LED goes out, then comes back on, and has gone from a green light, to an orange one, but works 100%

Are you gaming on this connection? You might try reducing the MTU to 1492 to stop packet fragmentation.

If you are not gaming, you might go into the properties of the network adapter and change the connection speed & duplex from automatic to manual or even lower the connection speed, you have to be careful though, because if the duplex is not right it won't connect at all. It will be either half or full duplex. The standard for in home from most ISP's is 100MB full duplex.

Last edited:
Please show us your TCP config:

• ipconfig /all >myTCP.txt
  • then NOTEPAD (or Wordpad) myTCP.txt
copy all the content and paste as your follow-up

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-RJ0D224
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-25-E9-1F-0F-0F

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-60-00-C6-CE-65
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::eded:c7df:a468:137f%14(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, 17 July 2018 06:10:43
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, 18 July 2018 06:10:43
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 80240640
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-88-72-8B-C0-25-E9-1F-0F-0F
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 193.162.153.164
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I am using this one ^

Not "adapter Ethernet 2"

Are you using a wired or a wireless router in this system or do you have a modem/router combination or just a modem? If you are using a wired or wireless router with a modem supplied by your ISP you might try plugging the ethernet cable directly into the modem. I had to change the IP address for a Belkin router one time with a DSL modem because they cannot have the same IP address.

Last edited:
I have tried 2 different cables, and I have tried directly connecting to the modem. I do not rock wireless, only wired. We do not run any combos either, just one modem and that's it.

You have a very perplexing problem, what is the pc's os? Since you are using the lom now there may be some settings somewhere in network connections or the computer management console. Also have you tried the network adapter troubleshooter?

It's beginning to look as if your network hardware is ok and you might have a missing or corrupt file. You can try a system file checker to see if that it will repair or replace a missing or corrupt file(sfc /scannow). Also as a last resort, you can run the recovery console and do a system restore to a point before the problem began(you will lose all your files since then) or a repair reinstall from the recovery partition on the hard drive or even a complete reinstall. With a repair you will save all of your files but you will have to reload all the 3rd party software applications that did not come with your pc. With a complete reinstall it will wipe the hard drive clean and you will lose all of your files and 3rd software applications. There is a 3rd party software application called ReimagePlus but my antivirus blocked some websites with a pup warning. Other websites might be ok. Its has some good reviews and some mediocre reviews.

Last edited:
Recommend disabling TcpV6;

on the system tray left of your SPEAKER ICON is a little monitor; right-click -> Network & Sharing
In the left panel, find Change Adapter Settings and click it
find your Local Area Connection - - should be connected and showing your workgroup name -- open it
lower left Properties; click it (needs admin pwd)

scroll down; there are TWO Internet Protocols; version 4 (must be acrive[x]) and version 6,
deactivate by clearing the [x]

click ok; close and reboot

Btw: the settings shown for "Ethernet adapter Ethernet:" are perfect and has the gateway as YOUR router, which looks goofy, but is very common. Your LAN devices send the the router's address, which then forwards on to your ISP gateway.

Yes, Joebeard a 192 ip address is a router. I he has the cable plugged directly to the modem supplied by an ISP it must be a modem/router combination. How many ethernet ports are on the modem? If it has more than 1 it's a modem/router combination.

Last edited:
I have already tried a complete reinstall of windows 10, removing all unnecessary files, and reinstalling everything from the ground up. I have also attempted the disabling of IPV 6, which didn't do anything either. And yes, it has multiple ports, so I suppose it is a combination of the two.

Agree; IMO it's NOT the system but the modem or router.
BTW; the browser IS NOT the tool used to test internet access; use PING 8.8.8.8 and PING GOOGLE.COM. If both work then TCP and your modem/router are just fine.

During these issues, we have not only tried a new modem / router, we changed ISP all together. Which also resulted in us changing from a regular (phone?) line entering the house, to go through TV cables. None of it changed anything, so it is not an outside source, I have also contacted them at some point, and they could not identify the issue.

Obviously, we're doing no better :sigh:

Please list EVERY box (make+model) in your network, including the Modem, Router, any switches, and how each is connected to another.

Back