Defragmenting and disablinig hibernation in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubar

Hello,

I've just built a new pc and am using vista for the first time (business 64).

I have just defragged as i usually done on xp (with jkdefrag, then scan with defraggler to check success). There is still a lot of fragmentation.

Some research has suggested this is due to hibernation being enabled (not virtual memory though, since I've disabled this because I'd like to set it after defragmentation). the most fragmented files are in "volume information" (or perhaps "system information", I'm not at home just now).

I have a couple of questions:

1) If I disable hibernation to defrag, do I then have to re-enable it? Is there a risk with not having it?

2) How come this never happened in xp? Jkdefrafg was always totally successful on that.

thanks again

gubar

re: volume information,
that area is where the System Restore Points are kept, so fragmentation doesn't matter there. It does however, makes the point that you have too little freespace!

IF your system is stable; you can assist freespace management with this sequence
  • disable System Restore
  • then enable System Restore
  • and set a limit of 5% of the HD

Use Disk Cleanup to delete junk stuff from the system and internet usage.
Then go to your files and delete stuff you REALLY don't need.

Now run defrag; if there's insufficient freespace on the HD, defrag can't do a very good job and it is forced to just leave what you see now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back