Deleted files re-appearing, can't copy/delete flash drive files

vanilla_rice

On the advice of another member who suggests this is not malware related I will try my luck in here.

Here are the main issues I am experiencing (running XP):

-When I try to delete from the recycle bin, the file disappears but when I re-open the recycle bin it's there again.

-Can not free up space on my hard drive

-Can't copy files to my flash disk. I get the error message:"could not copy "file" the request could not be performed because of an input/output device error"

-This happens will all the flash drives I try

-Can't delete files from my flash drive. I get the error message: "Cannot delete "file" access is denied make sure it is not full or write protected or is currently in use".

I made sure to close down any programs that could be using the file etc.

Help would be much appreciated, thank you.

On the face of it, this is caused by the rights you, the user has to all the files and flash disks. That they are not 'normal' is a classic sign of malware infection, I would say. It does not need to be the actual file system which has had it's rights corrupted, it is easier to affect i.e.(infect) the user.

First off try adding a new user with 'full' rights. If that cures the problem, then it is definitely a user infection. If it does not solve the problem then you almost certainly DO have an infection.

So go to the Virus and malware infection forum on this site and ask for help there.

OK thanks gbhall, I will make a new user profile and report back. Failing that I will continue to seek help in the thread I have started in the malware section.

Made a new user account, same problems.

I'm getting "windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" error box when I try to navigate through my hard drive folders.

I tried copying a file to my flash disk and I get the error message "Cannot copy "file" the parameter is incorrect".

I will continue my thread in the malware section, as gbhall suggested.

Back