Dell, Apple begin selling new high-end IPS displays

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Dell has begun selling a new 30-inch IPS display. Priced at $1,499 and due to ship in early October, the UltraSharp U3011 features an IPS panel with a roomy 2560x1600 resolution (16:10), and ships "factory-tuned to AdobeRGP and sRGB modes," saving you the hassle of calibrating the beast yourself.

Other core specs include a 7ms gray-to-gray response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 178-degree viewing angles, a .2505mm pixel pitch, two HDMI and DVI-D ports, one DisplayPort and VGA connector, one USB 2.0 upstream with four USB 2.0 downstream, as well as a 7-in-1 media reader. The U3011 also features height, tilt and swivel adjustability.

Meanwhile in Cupertino, Apple has opened sales on its 27-inch LED Cinema Display, which is currently set at $999 and should ship in one to two weeks. First announced in July, the monitor features a 2560x1440 IPS screen, a Mini DisplayPort input, three powered USB 2.0 ports, as well as a built-in camera, mic and 49W 2.1 sound system.

Permalink to story.

Boy, that Dell looks awful tempting for some tax return spending. I've been chomping at the bit for an IPS monitor. That one looks like it'll do the trick. :)

Im quite sure dell likes to use Matte displays on their 30 inchers. I have the 3007wfp-hc and that's matte..as well as the 3008. I'm unfamiliar with apple displays.

I don't really like Dell's computers but their displays(atleast the 30 inch) are top notch.

Back