Dell desktop BSOD Stop: 0x00000074 "bad system config info"

salman123

Hello. Two days ago my brother plugged in his mp3 player into the computer and all of a sudden it froze. So I turned it off. When I turned it back on the dreaded BSOD was there saying "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO" and the bottom said, "Stop: 0x00000074" and some other codes within brackets.. I tried safemode and everything else on that black screen you get when you press f12, MULTIPLE TIMES. None of it has worked.

After that, I went on some other website where I learned I could get into my computer through the dell operating system recovery cd. So, I tried and it did not work. yes, I already went into the BIOS menu and made sure CDROM was first before inserting the cd. When I restart, the blue recovery cd window should be there but it isn't!!

What should I do now!? If I can't get into my computer, is there any way I can atleast save all my files (pictures, music, etc)? I do not want to lose them all. This has never happened to my computer before. It always runs smoothly and quickly. I am so frustrated, please help me! If you need any additional information in order to help, please say so and I will give it to you!!

This means there is an error in your registry. This corruption could be due to a failing harddrive or possible infection. You need to ask your brother just what is it he has on that MP3 player.

Also, do not use registry fixers. We have found they cause a ton of issues and rarely fix the registry.

Hi Salman I may not have to solution to fix the problem of you pc, but i could help you in the recovery bit...
All u need is a livecd of windows or linux and i managed to look around for a nice collection of tools by Hiren and i thought it would be of help in getting to you info so that you can back it up...
When you finish burning that image to a cd, boot from it and then go down to what is says mini window (recovery)...
Let it load and you will be good to go.

Hope that helps some how...

Hi Salman I may not have to solution to fix the problem of you pc, but i could help you in the recovery bit...
All u need is a livecd of windows or linux and i managed to look around for a nice collection of tools by Hiren and i thought it would be of help in getting to you info so that you can back it up...
When you finish burning that image to a cd, boot from it and then go down to what is says mini window (recovery)...

Excellent advice.

So, for clarification, you didn't have this issue at all until the MP3 player was attached, correct?

Yes that is correct. mp3 was attached, then there was a message saying "run chkdsk" but that was not possible because everything froze. so we restarted

can you please explain what a livecd is? sorry I dont know much about these things so it would be helpful if you can explain in a more simple and detailed way :).. do I have to get a blank cd and put this "hirensbootcd" on it? What do you mean burning the image? Also, am I supposed to use the default burning system on this laptop or do I install a different one to complete this process?

I'll let Robin answer most of this but burning the image can be used by any system. So you can use another system to burn the CD.

He gave a link in his original reply. Just click on Hiren.

I believe the MP3 player loaded software when it was connected.

* Also, Linux is completely free.

Hello Salman123, sorry i have not been online.
There is not really much to explain, but just checkout this
dos-01-bootmenu.png
it will give you a clear view of what am talking about out.
After burning the image on the Cd, restart the computer from a cd by either going to your bios setting and change the boot priority or by pressing a certain key during POST to select boot device, which in this case is a cdrom. So select when it start from a cd you will get a screen like the screen shoot above, then select where is says "Mini Windows xp"...
then the magic starts.
Also make sure you insert the flash disk or MP3 player when the computer load the mini windows, it will give a clear view of what could have been the cause because you will see every file on the device including all the system hidden files with high level of security.

Cheers mate

Hello Salman123, sorry i have not been online.
There is not really much to explain, but just checkout this

it will give you a clear view of what am talking about out.
After burning the image on the Cd, restart the computer from a cd by either going to your bios setting and change the boot priority or by pressing a certain key during POST to select boot device, which in this case is a cdrom. So select when it start from a cd you will get a screen like the screen shoot above, then select where is says "Mini Windows xp"...
then the magic starts.
Also make sure you insert the flash disk or MP3 player when the computer load the mini windows, it will give a clear view of what could have been the cause because you will see every file on the device including all the system hidden files with high level of security.

Cheers mate

hello robin, its okay you dont need to say sorry!

Thankyou for further explanation but my real question was HOW do I burn this image on a CD and is this the same as burning a file on a CD (for example an audio file)? which program do i need to use for this? I have already downloaded the hirensbootcd and saved it to my documents, but im not sure what to do now

I'll let Robin answer most of this but burning the image can be used by any system. So you can use another system to burn the CD.

He gave a link in his original reply. Just click on Hiren.

I believe the MP3 player loaded software when it was connected.

* Also, Linux is completely free.

how or where do i get linux?

Hi,
You can use Nero or Ashampoo or UltraIso, you don't have to be professional to data, download, install eg UltraIso, then just Double click the image file, and it will open up the program that you install and it will ask you for a CD, insert it and burn.

how or where do i get linux?

If you look carefully, the third options says MINI LINUX.... so use that... but if you wanted it installed then let me know i will get you some good distros...

Hi,
You can use Nero or Ashampoo or UltraIso, you don't have to be professional to data, download, install eg UltraIso, then just Double click the image file, and it will open up the program that you install and it will ask you for a CD, insert it and burn.

If you look carefully, the third options says MINI LINUX.... so use that... but if you wanted it installed then let me know i will get you some good distros...

hi robin, i made the cd and have gotten into mini windows so thank you very much for helping me with this. now my only problem is im not sure how to find out which file was causing the problem so i can delete it.. can you please help me with this?

The only way i can help you that problem would be you getting me a snapshot of you filesystem starting with C:, flashdisk, and any other drive that you may be using currently...
The other issue would be to delete the content in the Temp folder that is located as follows

Windows Vista & 7
C:\Users\*******\AppData\Local\Temp

Windows Xp
C:\Documents and Settings\*******\Local Settings\Temp

and the other things to delete

C:\Recycler.bin or Recycler

I also usually delete some content in the System Volume Information but that is a risky part that i dont want you to mess if u dont know otherwise you might have it fail to start...So leave that for now...
You could also run malwarebyte and tell it to scan those drive...
Hope that helps

The only way i can help you that problem would be you getting me a snapshot of you filesystem starting with C:, flashdisk, and any other drive that you may be using currently...
The other issue would be to delete the content in the Temp folder that is located as follows

Windows Vista & 7
C:\Users\*******\AppData\Local\Temp

Windows Xp
C:\Documents and Settings\*******\Local Settings\Temp

and the other things to delete

C:\Recycler.bin or Recycler

I also usually delete some content in the System Volume Information but that is a risky part that i dont want you to mess if u dont know otherwise you might have it fail to start...So leave that for now...
You could also run malwarebyte and tell it to scan those drive...
Hope that helps

hi, how do i get you a snapshot of the file system c: and flashdisk?

Hello,

I have solved this problem.

I booted from the Hirens Boot CD, started Mini XP.

Once Mini XP has started > Right click at right bottem of the screen on de Hiren Logo, choose Registry >> Registry Restore Wizard. Choose you system folder (C:\Windows is automaticlly selected). Choose a date, when it still worked.

This program repairs the registry hives for the SYSTEM, CONFIG, SAM, SECURITY, DEFAULT files, located in C:\Windows\System32\config\

Goodluck

Hello,

I have solved this problem.

I booted from the Hirens Boot CD, started Mini XP.

Once Mini XP has started > Right click at right bottem of the screen on de Hiren Logo, choose Registry >> Registry Restore Wizard. Choose you system folder (C:\Windows is automaticlly selected). Choose a date, when it still worked.

This program repairs the registry hives for the SYSTEM, CONFIG, SAM, SECURITY, DEFAULT files, located in C:\Windows\System32\config\

Goodluck

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH. after a long wait I can finally use my computer!

What great information. Thanks so much!!
I was going berzerk after Ghosting a machine and found later on that I had the same problem!! Fixed it in minutes with the helping info. Whew!! Cudo's seezu !!:cool:

:grinthumb

OG

Registry fix not working?

I attempted to use this trick to recover my windows 7 PC and it showed no previous registry backups to restore to. Does WIn 7 just not backup the registry? Because I backup the registry settings manually every couple months but for some reason it cant find the file.

Any Ideas?

~AngelWarrior
(just getting used to my new username for another site, sorry for the odd sig.)

Back