Dell Dimension 3000 PCI graphics upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynamitemonkey

Im currently looking to upgrade my dell dimension 3000 from integrated graphics by getting a pci card. I've read a number of forums and reviews and heard good stuff about the Geforce 6200, and also a bit about the Radeon x1550. Looking on ebay I also found these:

Geforce FX 5200 256mb - £25.99 buy it now price

Radeon 9250 256mb - £17.50 current bid price

I would post links but not allowed as my post count is too low. How annoying.

And also a few 128mb versions of these two for cheaper. I'm not looking to spend loads, and will prob just look out for one on ebay if I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My PC spec is:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
System Model: Dimension 3000
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz
Memory: 254MB RAM (Will be upgrading to 1Gb soon!!)DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DVD drive: Model: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E
Graphics: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
HD: 80Gb
Networking: Linksys Dual-Band Wireless A+G PCI Adapter ver 1.2
PSU: 250w

Can't find info on MOBO spec. The Machine has 3 PCI ports i think. It's neatly tucked in corner of room and couldn't be bothered with hassle of getting at it to open it and check.

If you could recommend which card would be best suited would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

either Geforce 6200 or the Radeon x1550 would be good cards. Stay away from the Geforce FX 5200 256mb or the Radeon 9250 256mb as both are old and not going to help u much.

Ok. Although all the x1550s im finding are PCI Express which is no use. Thats why I was wondering why so many people had said about it even though they knew PCI was needed. I'll look out for 6200 but if i stumble across dirt cheap 5200 mite get it for now. Still be better than my Intergrated Intel Extreme

I know but i think the problem is everyone assumes im trying to get amazing graphics to run the most recent games. I'm not deluded, I know thats not possible. I just want better capability than I have with my current card

The ATI x1550's and Nvidia 6200's are both available in PCI, just look a little harder. The x1550 is about the best card you can get in PCI, ATI also has a newer HD2400Pro that can be PCI too but I dont know about that one. Using any card older than the ones listed are pointless.

Maybe I should ask you what you want to do with this computer? Any specific games you want to play? Also where are you located, you listed £ so i'm guessing somewhere in Europe? They are relatively easy to find here in the US but maybe not so much for you.

The 8600GT is coming in PCI and would be a whole lot better card than the 8500, but I have no idea how high it will be. The 8500GT PCI would be a whole lot better than the video u have now.

This comes from many moons ago and you probably won't see it but...I stand by my answer. You really won't find an improver. (is that a word?) . Find a board with socket 775 and PCI'E.

I'm not sure what the other guy keeps talking about by saying that you won't be able to get decent graphics on the D.3000. What is he expecting to do with it? I haven't received my D.3000 from Ebay yet, but when I do, I'm going to put my GeForce 5200 128mb PCI card in there. That card only cost $29.95 and it's far superior than the stock integrated graphics on my old Dell PIII 500 - that's the PC I have the GeForce installed in. This card can handle true HD resolutions up to 1920 x 1080, perfect for my 42" LCD TV.

Actually, I have 2 different PCI cards, both with the GeForce 5200 chipset, both cards installed in Dell PC's; one is a GX260 (2GHz P4) and the other is a GX1 (500MHz PIII). They both perform great for what I need them for, except the PIII is too slow to show videos without pausing every so often (I probably could get better performance putting 1GB of memory in it, however, I already purchased the D.3000 to replace it).

As for Games, I'd stick with an Xbox 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back