Dell E310 Video Card upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet937

Okay, so I've done a lot of research on how to upgrade my graphics.
I have a Dell Dimension E310, Intel Pentium 4HT 521 @ 2.8GHz 800MHz FSB, with 1mb cache and a LGA 775 socket. 2GB Kingston RAM "2x 1 GB" DDR2- PC4200 533MHz
160GB SATA 3GB/s 8mb cache Samsung Hard Drive. And Dual IDE DVD Drives.
So heres the deal, from what i have read i am suppose to be able to buy a new PCI graphics card and use it with this motherboard. I also herd that the cheap 230watt PSU Dell uses wont cut it if u want to install a new graphics card, so i got a 450 watt Raidmax PSU to try it with.
I bought an NVIDIA Geforce 6200 256MB GDDR2 PCI Graphics card and put it in. first i tried it with the cheap 230watt PSU the computer came with and just as i thought it didn't boot at all and would flash a yellow light. So i thought, "well thats suppose to happen." So, i pluged up the 450watt PSU and tryed it... Same problem, all it did was flash a yellow light. At first i thought the PSU was just bad but when i removed the Geforce 6200 it worked fine.
So does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Alex

make sure you have the latest device drivers from NVIDIA first. and make sure your mobo is compatible with the video card. just helpful hints

The NVIDIA Geforce 6200 256MB GDDR2 PCI Graphics card is probably not compatible with the motherboard. If the card has a power supply connection, did you connect the power supply to it?

Tmagic650

No, there is no power plug on the graphics card, that would have been the 1st thing i would have done =P

Post a link to the card.

Also disable Intel Integrated graphics in device manager.

Start
right click My Computer

MANAGE
Then device manager

DISPLAY ADAPTER

Intel 82915G, device usage, do not use this device.

Then add the graphics card and install drivers download new ones first they work fine.

electromagnetic... thats not the problem. I can't even boot into BIOS when the card is in Let Alone get into windows! And if i disable the Intel on board graphics then I'll be screwed and will have to reformat!

:zzz:

look at my specs on my profile what computer do I have ?

same as yours take out the card then disable integrated graphics if you do that, THEN YOU STILL GET A DISPLAY WINDOWS LOADS A VGA DRIVER.

Then add the card and load the drivers use 94.24 from Nvidia website good ones. ;)

What card is it is it EVGA then that card has problems may have to change it.

sigh -.-... u just don't get it, it has NOTHING to do with Windows Drivers. I have had another PCI Card that i used but it was a really old 4mb card and it would load fine "without disabling the onboard gfx". Its not a Windows Driver problem at all, i assure u. Its something to do with the BIOS or the Motherboard.

PS: Your computer is a little bit older version then mine and it has another motherboard in it thats not like the one i have.

One question did you upgrade the ram to 2GB of ram.

What is the display device in device manager ?

Can you try the game DOOM 3 demo if not got it, does it run faster or slow with more ram.

When I added my card to my PC I disbled my Intel graphics to get the mobo to select the card.

I told you... I've had another card in it, my BIOS is already set to Auto... and even without disabling the Integrated graphics the other PCI card worked just fine. So i know that disabling the integrated graphics will Not do anything for me.

As far as gettin the 2 gigs of RAM goes, it doesn't really make the computer faster just lets it multi task better and have more programs open.

There is the possibility the card is defective or faulty. You already know that another PCI graphics card does work. Can you try it in another PC to test it?

Yes, i am currently using the same Geforce 6200 on another computer with a 1.3 gig CPU and 256mb RAM so.. its not really built for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back