Dell Inspiron 2200-Busted LCD Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJtheIrishLass

My Dell laptop fell off of the surface it was on, and the screen hit a piece of furniture on the way down. (thankfully the floor was carpeted) The screen is obviously shot. When I turn it on, the screen is a mess of pixels (that's the only way I can think of to describe it) aside from a small place at the top. The small, seemingly undamaged part of the screen at the top just displays a message to the effect that Windows XP can't boot up due to a hardware error and the computer must be shut down or restarted.

Two questions:

Assuming nothing else besides the screen was damaged, will be a broken screen cause Windows to refuse to boot?

Also, if I'm able to hook up an external CRT monitor, do I have to do anything to make the laptop find the monitor? It seems that I recall something about having to use one of the F keys plus Fn for that.

For question one, try to plug the laptop into an external monitor and see if it boots up. You might have to press function (Fn) and f8 at the same time until something comes up.

Obi-Wan Jerkobi said:
For question one, try to plug the laptop into an external monitor and see if it boots up. You might have to press function (Fn) and f8 at the same time until something comes up.
I'll try that, thanks! :)

I might not be 100 percent sure but I'm pretty sure it's standard across all dell laptops or that year. (I have a Dell Latitude D600, it has the same keyboard.)

Quick follow-up question

I've been searching Ebay for Dell Inspiron displays for when it is permantly fixed. Are there any displays for other Dell models or even other manufacturers that would be compatible? I'm not sure if the screen is something that can be interchangeable or not.

Hi,If it is a 14.1 inch screen,here's this on ebay: Item number: 380042268460
Seller states as working.As far as using an external monitor,look for a key with either lcd or a picture of a monitor and use that with the FN key and that will make the external monitor work.If you get a good image on external monitor,then your video card should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back