Dell Inspiron Power Jack Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 (all standard hardware) and recently I've been having problems with the PSU staying connected and charging the battery. I has begun to make a high-pitched whine while it is on whenever I plug in a PSU (I've tried three different types: one dell, and two generic). For this reason, I doubt it is the PSU.

I opened it up to clean it out and see if there was anything visibly wrong and saw that there is a little browning around where it connects to the motherboard as well as a few small spots nearby other soldering points. I haven't payed attention to the coloring of the components before, but I'm worried that it's begun to damage things. I plugged in the PSU while it was open to test if any sounds were being made while it was off and I heard a clicking sound every 5 or so seconds.

Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions? Replacing the motherboard, aka Dell's solution to all hardware problems, is probably not an option since they seem to run higher than what a new computer would cost.

I've tried running on the charger, but the connection is so unstable that it almost immediately shuts off. There seems to be no noise while running it in that brief time, though the whining normally happens when the jack of the PSU begins to heat up.

Then you have a really bad 'jack' connection and had better get a shop to replace it.

Or try yourself.

But that is the issue. Something is loose or worn or whatever there.

From what you describe it sounds like you have some arcing and resistance heating. You need to get this fixed right away to avoid serious damage or a fire.

You may be able to resolder the old jack, but I would opt for a new one instead just to be sure all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back