Dell laptop not showing picture in normal boot up only

Status
Not open for further replies.

davisjaron

Alright so i've come across a problem I can't seem to solve at the moment... at least by myself... so any suggestions would be great.

I'm working on my fiance's grandparents laptop... it's a dell inspiron 2500...

it's showing an Intel Pentium III processor @ 897mhz, and 320mb of ram... it's running xp sp2 and a whopping 20gb hard drive

The problem is that after the windows xp load screen, the display turns off, then comes back on, and then it's just projecting a black image and nothing else. Sometimes I can hear the sounds, as if it's booting up, I can even remove a wireless adapter and hear the hardware removed and added sounds... but there is no picture.

I've pretty much cancelled out the idea of a hardware problem because it works perfectly in safe mode and vga mode... I checked the bios display setting and it was set to simulatenous to work with internal and external displays, I even tried setting it to only internal and it didn't work... I hooked it up to an external monitor (my monitor actually) and my monitor did the exact same thing with it... so i'm stumped...

any suggestions or ideas?

All the drivers are installed and working properly except one network controller but that wouldn't be the cause of it...

edit - by the way, i forgot to mention, i've tried doing a system restore (not reformat but using the system restore in xp) and i restored it back as far as 2 months ago and it still won't work.

easy

youve set the graphics output to more than the monitor can handle...

in safe mode remove the graphics card and then boot it in normal mode will come to a desktop in 640 x480 and then will auto install the card again

a reboot maybe and all will be well

regards

just an update (yea i've been slacking) i just got home and started workin on it... uninstalling the video card driver worked... now all i have to do is reinstall it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back