Dell Latitude D-620 LCD is flickering and is pink in color

Status
Not open for further replies.
My lcd was flickering and had a pink hue to it and out of focus. I ordered an new lcd and installed it and it didn't change a thing. Does anyone know what it could be?

Thanks in advance.

loose or damaged cable, chip, motherboard....

overheating system......

could be a variety of things.

Thanks tedster for the info. I know when it first started I could tap on the back of the lid or the back of the lcd and it would come in and out. A couple times when I closed the lid and opened it again it work for awhile. Then it finally stopped working all together. So from what your telling me my next step would be to replace the cable. Is this correct?

Download the video driver, then go to device manager to suspend or remove the old driver, and install the new one... Anything better.
If not, you likely have a defective video graphics inverter or backlight. Not difficult to fix but tedious and time consuming... First, see if you can find the inverter and backlight cheaply on eBay or other supply source. Then look at the dell site for drawings and images of what is needed to remove the old one.
The units just plug in. But there are many screws of different sizes which you must remove from the bottom of the computer, then remove the keyboard, then remove the screw covers... and there can be as many as 16 to 24 screws... it is important to draw yourself a "map" as to where each screw size goes when you reinstall everything.
The most difficult part is removing the screw covers so they can be replaced in a way that is attractive.... then getting screw cover replacements and the correct glue or adhesive.

When it went bad it was working on and off at first by opening and closing the lid and by taping on the back of the lcd lid. Doing this it work for awhile. After 3-4 times of this it finally stopped and couldn't get the picture to come back any longer. So I'm thinking it must be a short somewhere. Looks like I wasted my money on a new lcd huh.

I bought a new lcd cable I'll install it when it arrives and will report when I'm finished. As for the
back light it's a new lcd it should be fine, I hope. The inverter came with the lcd if thats the one your talking about. So I'll try a new cable and see if that fixes it.

You never know. You could be right on your particular computer. I will put my money on the other.
But we would all appreciate your replies as you get to a solution... we hope to learn from you.

Hey all, Well I bought and installed a new cable and still have the same problem. I contacted the seller of the lcd and they said it must be a defective inverter then but they don't sell them and offered to refund my money minus shipping and if it test out to be fine then there will be a 25% restocking fee. I would like to know how to test it myself. The only way I can think of is to install it into a working dell d620 laptop. If I can't at this point I would have to take there word for it that there is nothing wrong with it. I have ordered an inverter it was only $7 and if that turns out not to be it then I guess I have no chose but to take the loss and round file the laptop. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for your time and insight.

well i know for a 630 a refurbished screen is around 175

I don't know were your getting your lcd's but I bought a new one not refurbished for my wife's 620 with inverter for 78. They average from 70 to 120 for a new one.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but this 620's video works great when connected to an external lcd monitor.

Well people a new inverter did not fix the problem. I did a little more research and found out that this model dell with the nvidia chip set has a none issue with that chip going out. The motherboard has to be replaced or replace the chip. Motherboard on eBay is around $100. I've already put to much into this thing trying to find the problem I refuse to put anymore into it. So It's time to part it out on eBay and see if I can recoup some of my money. Any one looking for a brand new lcd? This is a great forum with people willing to help, Thanks guys

I think it is advisable that you may contact dell's technical support people; I am sure that will be much more fruitful with regard to solution of your problem.

LCD problem.....

My lcd was flickering and had a pink hue to it and out of focus. I ordered an new lcd and installed it and it didn't change a thing. Does anyone know what it could be?

Thanks in advance.

When a flourescent or cold cathode lamp is at the end of its life, most will take on a pink hue. Change the backlamp....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back