Dell PC not starting: amber flashing power light

Hello,

I am dazed with this problem. Trying to find the solution on all the forums.

My brother owns a Dell Desktop computer and suddenly it stopped working.

- The Power button light is flashing continuously.
- The green light on the motherboard is perfectly on.
- The port light where the telephone wire goes and the usb port next to it on the motherboard is blinking continuously.
- The processor is not starting.
- If I remove the power cord, the lights mentioned above and same for 15 seconds.

What must be the possible problem.

MAny Thanks in advance

Karthik

You would be dazed again, because this is probably caused by a failing power supply. The blinking power button is a good clue. The green LED on the motherboard simply means that you have a power cord plugged in... It could be a bad motherboard too, but power supplies are easier to replace and cheaper to start with

Possible fix

I have the same problem on my GX280 (amber light flashing on power button). I had gone through many forums and tried many things, but I discovered that only playing with motherboard battery fix the problem. First I just removed the battery and placed it again and PC start working (after few minutes) and it was OK for 2-3 days when the problem appears again. After I replaced the motherboard battery with a new one the problem got fixed – now for 8-10 months, could be dodgy new battery. Now I fixed it again with replacing the battery, hopefully for much longer, but even 10 months are OK for me. I hope that will help.

blinking amber light

please check all of your usb ports and make sure the pins are all in line and not touching anything else. That often works.

This was my problem!!! THANK YOU!!!! I replaced the power supply on my GX620 and replaced that little battery and still nothing! Checked all the USB ports and sure as $#!T one was bent!

blinking amber light

please check all of your usb ports and make sure the pins are all in line and not touching anything else. That often works.

Back