Dell replacement HDD-sata 3.0 or 1.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell E1505 with a Hitachi 100gb 1.5 gb sata drive. The system reports a Intel chipset of 945MG, IO=82801GBM (ICH7M). I want to replace my current HD with a larger one and am trying to figure out of the system will accept a 3.0gb sata drive. Does anybody have any experience with this set up? Will the chipset support a 3.0 sata drive? Is there any sure way to know? This is one of Intell's most current chipsets so it seems logical (maybe a stupid assumption) that it would support. But who knows what Dell has custom configured into their motherboard? I would appreciate any info/help/guidance.

Neil

ATA and SATA drives are always backward compatible. It will accept the drive, although, if it only supports the max speed of 1.5Gb/s, the 3Gb/s drive will be forced to operate at those speeds.

Bisha said:
I have a Dell E1505 with a Hitachi 100gb 1.5 gb sata drive. The system reports a Intel chipset of 945MG, IO=82801GBM (ICH7M). I want to replace my current HD with a larger one and am trying to figure out of the system will accept a 3.0gb sata drive. Does anybody have any experience with this set up? Will the chipset support a 3.0 sata drive? Is there any sure way to know? This is one of Intell's most current chipsets so it seems logical (maybe a stupid assumption) that it would support. But who knows what Dell has custom configured into their motherboard? I would appreciate any info/help/guidance.

Neil

There is a jumper pin on the HDD to make it a 150 instead of 300 on SATA.

Yeah all HDD SATA 300 are compatible backwards. As stated in the above post, most if not all SATA HDDs have a jumper which allows you to select this option, unless they do it automatically.

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess I was not real clear in my post. I am trying to figure out if the computer and its chipset (see original post) will, in fact, support sata 3.0. There is no point in spending extra money to get a 3.0 drive if the computer will not support it and also if it will support it I want to take advantage of it.

The chipset is one of Intel's newest so it seems logical to me that it should but I cannot get any info from Dell and I do not know of any way to test it before buying.

Any thoughts??

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back