Dell returns to public markets at $46

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Dell's return to public markets won't have much of an impact on casual observers but for those with skin in the game, it's yet another layer in what has been a complicated ride over the past five years.

Dell on Friday made its return to public markets official, re-launching on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol DELL. The company is currently trading at $44.78 after opening at $46.

Dell shareholders voted earlier this month to go public once again. As you may recall, the technology giant went private in 2013 courtesy of a $24 billion leveraged buyout led by founder Michael Dell and private equity firm Silver Lake.

The computer maker was able to skirt the process of an initial public offer due to the fact that it purchased the publicly traded tracking shares of VMware earlier this month for $120 per share (a total of $23.9 billion). Dell, if you remember, bought EMC a few years back for $67 billion.

Shares in VMWare, meanwhile, are up 1.94 percent to $157.30 as of writing.

JPMorgan analyst Paul Coster set a target price of $60 on Dell stock based on today’s move. “The firm has reported 23 consecutive quarters of share gain in the PC market, and Dell is a leader in many infrastructure product categories, including storage, x86 servers, external storage arrays, hyper-converged infrastructure, client technology, and server virtualization," Coster said.

Permalink to story.

They might have picked the worst week to open, but it could easily get better .... or worse!

Side note: Dells budget laptops are such crap, compared to other brands like lenovo for example. Bleakest screens, and always, always HDD instead of SSD. Someone asked to me to set up their dell laptop and it was so horribly slow, even before windows loaded that I demanded they get a replacement. Speakers is another sadness. It sometimes feels to me that what they try to achieve is installing weakest speakers of all. And again, I have played with many budget laptops, and it seems like the only advantage of Dell's laptops is s turdines.

I own a Dell monitor and I see them in practically every large business I enter. They seem to be doing well

I don't buy the uber cheap Dells, but I've had REALLY good luck with the XPS series.
Very dependable in my tool bag, banged around daily, no issues ever.

Back