Dell XPS 18 all-in-one doubles as Windows 8 tablet for home roamers

Jos

Staff

With the arrival of Windows 8 we've seen a number of manufacturers pushing out hybrid designs that combine the portability of a tablet with the full-featured experience of a laptop. But more recently a new category appears to be emerging, one that's essentially a different take on the same basic principle by mixing all-in-one desktop computing with around-the-house portability for tablet-like use.

Like the Sony Vaio Tap 20 and Lenovo IdeaCentre Horizon, the new Dell XPS 18 is taking a stab at this market. It features an 18.4-inch Full HD (1920x1080) capacitive touch screen, that, when folded down becomes a massive slate twice as large as Apple's iPad, as well as a built-in battery with a claimed four to five hours of run-time to use around the house with no power cord attached. Weighing in at 4.85 pounds, it's not meant to be as portable as an actual tablet, but that's still incredibly light for an AIO. By comparison, the Vaio Tap 20 and IdeaCentre Horizon are 11 and 18 pounds, respectively, and most gaming laptops are over 5 pounds as well.

dell xps windows

Starting at $900, the base model comes with a dual-core Intel Pentium 2117U processor, 4GB of RAM and a 320GB hard drive paired with a 32GB mSATA SSD. Dell will be offering a variety of configurations with up to a Core i7 processor, a 500GB hard drive or a lone 256GB or 512GB SSD, up to 8GB of DDR3L RAM.

On the software front you'll be running the full-fledged version of  Windows 8 64-bit Home or Professional.

dell xps windows

Connectivity and expansion features include a pair of USB 3.0 ports, a single USB 2.0 port, headphone / microphone combo jack, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 720p front-facing camera, and a multi-memory card reader.

The XPS 18 has built-in kickstands for desktop use and ships with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. A docking stand with tilt and recharge functions will be sold separately on Dell's website for $49.

Permalink to story.

Am I the only one who things these specs are extremely anemic? 32GB SSD and a dual-core Pentium for $900?

Good lord, does it really cost that much to make an 18" touchscreen?

Am I the only one who things these specs are extremely anemic? 32GB SSD and a dual-core Pentium for $900?

Good lord, does it really cost that much to make an 18" touchscreen?

I could be wrong about this, but I believe a Pentium 2117U would be far faster than any ARM based tablet processor. It's only a small step down from a Core i3. And it has a 320 GB and a 32 GB SSD for storage. I don't think it's supposed to be some great ultra fast gaming/compute machine, but I'll bet those specs are plenty fast enough for a pleasant navigation/web/email experience.

It's the same price as a Surface pro with a far bigger screen.

I don't mean to belittle the Pentium line, a lot can be said for it. But the Core i5 3317U in the Surface Pro is a solid 50+% more powerful than the Pentium 2117U here. They're both ULW models, so they compare pretty cleanly in that respect. (More info, specific numbers at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php)

With $900, I kind of expect something a bit more "premium" than this. I kinda wish they'd just give us a 64GB SSD (So we can actually install some programs on it, leave the HDD for media) and an i5 for that price. Even make it $100 more and I feel like it'd be a better value for me.

Of course, I can't represent the market as a whole - I have no idea what other people think. I just think this is too watered-down. =(

erratum?
On the software front you'll be running the full-fledged version of Windows 8 64-bit Home or Professional

me and a sibling like the dell xps 18 aio model shown here. (but not at the current price range)

Back